Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Washington DC Convention Hotels: Suites/Apts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm in a bit of a pickle - tagging along with husband to another convention in DC. Staying for 7 days. We are ideally looking for a 1 bedroom suite since we are bringing the toddler with us - so far best priced place I can find is the Embassy Suites on 10th Street for $350 (www.capitolreservations.com) I'm planning on doing the priceline bids for the Convention Center closer to the date because right now I'm not hitting any hotels. Any other suggestions for hotels with affordable suites in this area? I'm looking for something with a pool and maybe I'll book 2 rooms instead of a suite if that is easier. I'm also going to open up the search to the downtown area (JWMarriott, Grand Hyatt) but am worried since it is about 10 blocks from the convention center (are these NYC avenue blocks? I'm not going to be doing the walking since I'm not going to the convention). Alternatively, I'm thinking about doing a short term apartment stay but not sure where to look besides VBRO? Would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Try Craigslist. Is the $350 the total for seven nights? If so, that's phenomenal for D.C.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

I wished! It is $350/night.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM
JJ5

Good luck! Suites in D.C. are higher $$$ than anywhere else I've ever stayed USA, including NYC. And this is at a peak cost during the weekdays; the weekends are much cheaper, sometimes by half.

I couldn't get a Priceline room for 7 days at all, and I was bidding nearly 2/3rds of the asking rack rate for a 7 day stay last month.

I would try continually on the Priceline or hotwire sites. But with your exact needs near the Convention Center and with a pool etc. etc. you are probably going to be paying large.

You might want to try www.quikbook.com That site might save you somewhat, but not a deal like Priceline, yet it is not paid upon reservation either, but when you arrive. And it can be cancelled up to either 24 or 48 hours before, depending upon the hotel.

If you can find a vrbo you might be better off. But I could not find one that had all 7 days availability when I tried for my stay.

Actually this was the first time I failed to use Priceline. I have always been successful, but did always have a longer lead time than this last trip provided.

Do not forget that $350 is actually around $400 a day because the 17% tax for a suite is added to the bill for each day AFTER the quoted cost for the room. Do not be surprised.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

JJ5 - your experience does not bode well for me. I think I'm going to have to expand my search definitely to the Downtown area and potentially Arlington (where I was able to find a rate at the Marriott in Crystal City for $189/$309). Sucks for me! Wish me luck on priceline then. I was really suprised myself when I called for the rates - we have definitely stayed in suites in NYC for much cheaper. Who new a little quickie vacation would turn out to be the same as going to the Carribbean!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:52 PM
GoTravel

Jaykay, I'm guessing this is a very large convention if it is being held at the convention center. Also, I'm guessing you are going during peak convention time.

That translates into high occupancy with little to no availability and high rates.

My suggestion is to book the Embassy as a backup and keep shopping. Don't book two rooms because chances are good the hotel will not be able to give you that even if you do book it and ditto a reason not to use priceline.

Did you look on www.VRBO.com for a condo or apartment?

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Yup. I went ahead and booked the Embassy Suites and am waiting to hear back from vbro owners. All the big "convention" hotels are booked. So I'm looking for smaller hotels that maybe not be on the convention circuit. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM

I don't know if it's still in business, but several years back while I was stationed at the Pentagon, my family and I stayed at an older place in Alexandria called (I think) Executive Suites. It was on the north end of Alexandria, just east of Rt. 1 (and practically on the Potomac). Our one bedroom apt was more than adequate.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Hi, I just got the hotel palomar for march 21-24 for 130.00 per night. It is a new boutique hotel, and is pretty big (over 300 rooms). the queen/queen rooms are 520 sq feet. it is in dupont square area of town. they also have some adjoining rooms. go to kimptonhotels.com. they have a 20% discount going on for "In touch" members (that is their loyalty program) bc the hotel is new. you should sign up (free and you can do it online) for the loyalty program - get an in touch number and then call the in touch customer service number. good luck!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM

Not familiar with the various areas in DC, but we stayed last year at a Homewood Suites in DC. Small living room and kitchen, in addition to a bedroom.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:08 AM

Your options will open up greatly if hubby takes Metro or the new Circulator bus line (or when needed, a cab) to the Convention Center. Both the metro and the Circulator bus run run right up to the Convention Center. Route maps for both can be found here: www.wmata.com

With that in mind, there have been lots of discussions on this board about suite hotels and family friendly hotels that you might explore for ideas. Rates are going to vary depending on what time of year you are going, but without knowing prices, here are a couple of options you might explore:

1) Loew's L'Enfant Plaza.
Upside for hubby: it is on top of the metro, and just three stops away on the yellow line to the Convention Center.
Upside for you: it is on top of the metro, it has a pool (not so easy to find in downtwon DC) and is within a couple block's walk of the Smithsonian museums and Mall area. Downside: there is a dearth of restaurants, shops or any other streetlife in the immediate blocks surrounding the hotel. If you wanted to eat out for dinner, you would most likely need to metro.

2) Capitol Hill Suites
Upside for hubby: just one block from the Capitol South metro, easy transfer to the yellow line at L'Enfant Plaza to go to the Convention Center (5 metro stops total). Upside for you: spacious suites, one block from the metro, also located in a charming residential neighborhood within walking distance of the Capitol. Downside for you: no pool.

I believe there may also be a Holiday Inn, with pool, near the L'Enfant Plaza metro stop, but am not sure.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:02 AM
JJ5

Not to discourage the OP, but I tried all of those hotels when I tried to reserve for last month, and none of them were in the price range that Jaykay06 desires.

Did you get the hotel palomar on Priceline for that much? It's the best price I've ever heard for that hotel. I believe my quoted rates were over $300 per day when I called.

If all else fails, and you don't mind noise- there is a downtown location The Quincy 1823 L St NW which is roomy and 2 bed suite with good bathrooms and great beds (like Westin heavenly)- but has some real, real negatives. No pool, flimsy service, poor elevator and no good restaurant on site- just a pub. And it is also in the middle of downtown with few sit down breakfast or lunch choices- but actually tons of take away and evening choices. It is fantastic on Metro line location- Farragut North Red line 1 block away and Yellow or Orange (I can't remember which) at Farragut West -only 2 blocks the other way. I got everywhere without once using a car OR a bus for $22 all week and it was a piece of cake. There is a Metro pass for $22 to use endlessly. Ask the metro booth and they will help you get it from the machines with a charge card.

I would not recommend The Quincy unless you do not find anything good in your price range. There are both constructive and garbage station pickups all night long behind the hotel in the triangular alley area that backs three different angle city blocks and the noise from that and from the sirens is horrendous. But it is under $200 a day with the tax and a good room quality for that price where it is. Its redeeming features are location AND affordability. They were also totally booked at over $300 per day for most of the days I was there, with people in the lobby waiting for rooms to open, but that NOT on the weekends, just the weekdays.

I got my reduced rate at quikbook.com and found when I called 3 other hotels direct that I did not get anything near $200, even without the tax. They were all higher, much, some of them. I ended up paying about $190 a day with the tax after all was said and done.

Loew's L'Enfant was much more than that when I called. Jury's was the only other hotel systems that came close to pricing in the range you might like. You could try those- they are in two, maybe three, locations, that I saw- CLOSE to Metro. One is Dupont Circle area and right on the Metro.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. L'Enfant was sold out and Hotel Palomer didn't have that Travelzoo rate available when I tried to book ($400-$550 range). I'll take a look at Homewood.
Late last night, I saw a travelzoo special for the Omni Shoreham for 99-$129 if anyone else is looking in April/May. I was able to book it - but I'm not sure about the area - though it is within walking distance to the zoo.

So here is my situation: 8 months pregnant w/ 2 year toddler. Doing most of the sight seeing by myself since husband will be at conference. Out of these hotels (disregarding price for the time being) which hotels will be most convenient for me? I'm not sure how the metro works, is it like NYC metro where you have to lug a stroller up and down the stairs? I definitely will not be able to do that (I can barely lift my 35 pd. son at this point). Sightseeing will either be by walking (#1 choice), bus, or taxi.

Omni Shoreham (pro-walking distance to zoo; con - kinda far from everything else)
Embassy Suites (indoor pool and full 1 bedroom suite)
JW Marriott (conference hotel - maybe I can find someone else to come "sight seeing" with me...hee hee hee)
Renaissance - (same as above)
[Plus any other hotels that are even more convenient]?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM
JJ5

ttt for vinolover
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:03 PM

Homewood Suites area was just okay, didn't seem great. Not sure what it is near. We were driving in and out.

Too bad Leow's L'Enfant isn't a possibility. We liked that location when we were sightseeing with the kids when they were younger. Very convenient to walk to the mall.

Good luck. My kids are a little less than 2 years apart and I remember those second pregnancy days well!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:48 AM

I think the Shoreham might be a good choice for your extra day -- it is in a lovely setting at the edge of Rock Creek Park and convenient to the Zoo. A very good area for strolling with your toddler, who probably isn't terribly interested in museums and monuments. If you want to go back downtown that day, the Woodley Metro station is nearby and has an elevator from the street to the mezzanine. It is a very long ride as the station is one of the deepest in the system, so you do not want to use the escalator. But I'd probably spring for a taxi if you are saving hundreds on the room by changing hotels.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

I would do JW Marriott if that's the official hotel. Reasonably centrtal location - so cab fares to other places will be low - and you many find other spouses to play/share costs with.

It's not that short a walk to the Convention Center. We've used it for several meeting there and they always put it on the shuttle bus route - and most people take the bus versus walk.

But there are a couple of inexpensive, casuale places to eat nearby - which may be an issue (finding family friendly restaurants for dinner nearby some of the places.)

The Shoreham is kind of a trek - and I suspect you'll be using cabs a lot.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM

Oops, in my advice about the Shoreham I confused you with another recent poster. The hotel is not well located for the convention goer, but he can ride Metro or taxi much more easily than you can with the toddler, so it could be an OK choice if the price is right.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM

The Shoreham could work well, if your toddler is happy spending time at the zoo and park. It's green and lovely there. (The area near the CC and Union Station is much more urban and busy.) The Woodley Metro stop has restaurants and more. BTW, kids love the Metro!

One advantage of staying near the CC is that you could see your husband during breaks from his meeting. (BTW, I've spent many days doing the convention tag-along, and it is rewarding but also exhausting!)

Doing the Mall museums involves a lot of walking; you should plan to keep it to a minimum. Several of the top spots are not toddler friendly, especially the National Archives. He would probably like the Air and Space Museum; one of the galleries is the temporary home to some of the collection of the American History museum.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. My revised top 3:

Omni Shoreham ($130) [2 queens]
-Omni has a great rate and is close to the zoo. The down side is that this is not a 1 bedroom suite. And kind of a pain to get to the Conference center for my husband (1 transfer on subway) or maybe just take taxi.

Capitol Hill Suites ($200) [1 bedroom suite]
-Close to the Mall (will I really be able to walk to all the activities I want to try to hit (see list on bottom)?) Plus it is a true one bedroom. No transfering on subway.

Embassy Suites ($375) [1 bedroom suite]
Closest to conference center. True 1 bedroom. Indoor pool. But the price! Ouch!I would probably have to cab it everywhere

These are the activities I researched would be "fun" for a 2 year old.
1.Zoo + park near Omni
2. Natural History Museum - Discovery Center live insects
3. Carousel in the Mall
4. Air and Space Museum (he loves planes)
5. National Aquarium
6. FDR Memorial

I have my fingers crossed that there will be some cancellations, prices dropping at other hotels (L'enfante, Embassy Suites]. I'm also kicking myself because I should have booked my flights 2 nights ago because they all went up $150 today. Darn!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -