Washington D.C. what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in D.C. all next week on vacation and plan to go to several places in the evening. I was wondering if jeans are acceptable, or should we dress a little nicer? We are going to Capitol Steps, Gross National Product, Shear Madness, a performance at Ford's Theatre, and a Murder Mystery Dinner. Do most people dress up a little for these events or are jeans pretty acceptable? I just don't want to stick out and look dumpy. Thanks for any comments.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Assuming that you mean nice jeans, you should be fine everywhere you listed. Having said that, the Kennedy Center may be the one place where you may want to upgrade from jeans as most of the people in the Kennedy Center as a whole will not be in jeans. However, you will not be alone if you wear jeans there, especially to Shear Madness (since its not in the opera house or terrace theaters).
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:04 AM

The other bit of advice that I have is to not look like you've been out sightseeing since 8 am, and you're just dragging into the theatre all rumpled and hanging out. I know this seems obvious, but we go to the theatre a lot here in DC, and you would be surprised.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:36 AM

If you have room in your suitcase, why not throw in a pair of black pants or easy dress/skirt? Personally, I would not wear jeans to the theater but you will probably see a little bit of everything. (If you end up with only jeans as an option, I would suggest a nice dark wash with heels and a cute top.)

Enjoy your visit!!!!!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM

I agree that we go to the theatre a lot in this area but you will see all sorts of attire to include BAD and rumpled and poorly-tailored suits, sport coats, horrible neckties, and dresses that seem to scream "rummage sale" not to mention the costumes on stage.

You'll feel better about it all if you don't wear jeans but if you do you won't be the only ones.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Some places are a little more dressy than others. I think I will take black pants and some cute tops to wear in the evenings.