Warning - Harlem Gospel Tour

Jun 26th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Warning - Harlem Gospel Tour

Just got back from a great trip. One of the few disappointments was the Harlem Spirituals Gospel Tour with Brunch. We were faxed a page that said to be there at 8:30. A few lines later it said to come 15 minutes eaarly. So...we were there, with several other people at 8:10! We were outside in the cold and the rain. The office was closed up! When someone finally did come around 9, we were directed around the corner. When I complained to a woman with a clip board, she just argued with me. (Even though another person said he had also been given the early time.) We actually didn't even start the tour until 9:30! We never even got an apology. Customer service wasn't high! We finally were placed on a bus. We had a good tour guide and the church service was enjoyable. (ofcourse could have gone to church for FREE) The brunch was served at a place that was obviously just for busloads of tourists. It was in bad shape. The service was awful. We were herded in by a grumpy woman who yelled at people. Towards the end of the show (a live gospel concert) she went up on the stage and started yelling at the musicians and singers to "get out of here!!!" We were all in shock! Anyway...not a classy act to say the least.
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:24 PM

Welcome to New York. Really. At my 10 year high school reunion, one classmate got up on stage and while people were buzzing around and laughing and drinking, she started shouting, "Alright people SHUTUP! I have an announcement! Thank you for coming..."
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Might be helpful to post the name of the tour company and the name of the restaurant so others can avoid them.
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:56 PM

I actually find the whole nature of these kinds of tours offensive. I can't imagine interloping on someone's religious service so I could be entertained. I realize that the churches make money through this, so God bless them, but it feels a little too "going to the zoo" or minstral showish for me.
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

The name of the company was Harlem Spirituals. I got them out of the New York Fodors book. The name of the restaurant was the "Cotton Club". No, it was not the original Cotton Club. The name had not been trademarked...and the origianl Cotton Club had burned down. I would hate for anyone else to do this tour without knowing what they are paying for!!!