wanted to verify instructions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Chicago during the end of Decemeber. Will be going to Union Station to catch the California Zephyr. The CTA website tells me to take the blue line to Clinton station. Can anybody tell me how far it is or is there a better way to get there? thanks
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM

It all depends on where you're coming from. Flying, driving, taking Greyhound? If you're driving, keep in mind there is no such thing as a long term lot like at the airport. In order to avoid paying $20 or more a day, you probably should park at the airport and take the El downtown. Midway lots are cheaper and closer, and you don't need to take the blue line. If you get off at Madison (on the orange line), it's just a few blocks to Union Station. If you have a lot of luggage, you can always take a cab there, it won't cost much just to go a few blocks. The Clinton station on the blue line isn't much closer to Union Station, it's still a couple of blocks. The blue line runs to O'Hare. If you're flying into town, the same advice applies. There are maps on the CTA site that will help orient you. This link will take you to the one for downtown.

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2005D.html
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM

To avoid confusing you, when I said get off at Madison, I was refering to what is officaily the Washington stop. It's actually mid-block, though, and a bit closer to Madison. I always go down to Madison to get to the opera house, hence the slip.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your answer. I am flying in to O'Hare and from there going to Union Station
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Pis_Pistofferson

Just saw a great show on the Travel channel about the Zephyr. It's on my list. Let us know, please, how it goes...

Pis

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Just returned from my trip. The California Zephyr is one beautiful train ride. By the way, I ended up taking a shuttle to the train station and it was terrific, no real heavy traffic and was dropped off at the door. I have a few comments about the train. 1. I traveled in a roomette; the best value for the money but a bit cramped. Younger folks would have no problem coming down from the upper bunk, but as a 60 year old with a few extra pounds had a hard time but not impossible. 3. The meals in the dining car are really gourmet and the service is exceptionally friendly. The cabernet at $12.00 a 1/2 bottle is an excellent value. Amtrak employees really go out of their way to make it a pleasant experience for the passengers. 4. The lounge car is nice to be in and a welcome change of pace from time to time. Movies are shown at night on TV. During Christmas and New Year the train is full so I did not spend too much time in the lounge (the roomette during the day is so comfortable!) 5.The Amtrak bus in SF is excellent and it will take you to the middle of town.

Problems:
Roomettes are kind of small. Once beds are down you do not have any more room!. Up and down from the upper bunk can get complicated. Upper level bathroom was kept very clean by Porter but bathrooms downstairs showed a bit of wear after the second day out. So did the shower. Soap and clean towels furnished. Plenty of hot water. No one picked up the used soap in the shower.
Overall, a great experience, if you can afford it get the bedroom with its own bathroom and shower.