Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

want to snorkel, don't know how , where do I go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Oahu for a week. I really want to learn how to snorkle. Where do I go to learn on the Island?
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:09 AM

yikes, kobe_b.

Azgrl2, if you know how to swim, you know the basics of snorkeling.

You might want to try swimming around with a snorkel at home in a pool before heading out to the ocean.

If you don't know how to swim, now is a good time to learn.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Many local dive shops offer a snorkeling course as do sometimes the Y.
Really, if you can float, you can snorkel!And if you can't float, many of the snorkel tours I've been on make you wear inflatable jackets that will keep you above water without a problem.
Some even have those float mats you can hold onto or lie on.
I've seen some of the float mats with a "window" to look through so you hardly have to get into the water.
I'd suggest going to K Mart or Wal Mart and buying an inexpensive set of mask and fins and practicing in a pool.
It's very easy and you'll be so glad you did it.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:15 AM

Ignore above post.

We went to Oahu for the first time last year. I had never been snorkling in my life, and I am 49.

We drove out to Hanauma Bay one morning, caught the tram down to the beach and there was a hut renting all the equipment you'll need. You don't need to learn from anyone. Slap on the equipment, wade into the water and breath through the mouthpiece. VOILA! You're a pro! You will have a ball-I didn't want to leave! Keep an eye on one thing though-your back, shoulders and top of your head will get MAJOR sunburn if you don't protect yourself before going in.Fish, eels and seaturtles await!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:18 AM

I second or is it third the suggestion of practicing in a pool if you've never snorkeled before. Also practice clearing water out of your mask and snorkel.

If you don't have an opportunity to try it in a pool the first time, the next best thing is somewhere like Hanauma bay where you can enter from the beach and snorkel in relatively shallow water.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:42 AM

bryarsmom,

While I think it is great that you were able to snorkel without any prior experience (that is the case for many - probably most - people) the board is for people to give their ideas and opinions about how to help someone with questions they may have.

The more options someone has available to them the better.

Some people are very afraid of the water and may need some extra confidence - via practice or instruction - so that they can immediately enjoy snorkeling without the learning curve/comfort level increase that they could have obtained prior to going for the first time.

Additionally, there are lots of handy skills to have (clearing a mask, de-fogging a mask, kicking properly, learning how to kick down to get a closer look and surfacing properly) that can greatly increase the enjoyment of snorkeling.

In other words your saying "ignore the above post" just because it did not apply to you does not mean your experience will apply to everyone.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:54 AM

It's true that you won't need a lot of instruction. The first time I went was on the Big Island; I went into a shop that sold snorkeling equipment and told them that I had never snorkeled before. (I was in my mid-50's at that point.) They showed me how to put the mask on properly, and suggested that I go to the beach (a 5-minute walk away) and try it out, and if I couldn't manage, somebody from the shop would come and show me. I tried and it was the easiest thing in the world. I've snorkeled in several places since then, including the Great Barrier Reef - and I'm not a brave or adventurous person. If I can do it, anybody can!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Thanks kobe. I appreciate your taking the time to reassure me what with all that's going on with you right now
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Whatever you do, don't fall for the trick of cleaning the mask with a dot of dishwashing liquid before using! I went on a snorkeling trip in Key West and followed that advice from the "experts" and it irritated my eyes. Between the salt water and the soap, my eyes were a mess! SPIT WORKS JUST GREAT! Just spit in each side of the mask, spread it around with your fingers and then rinse the mask in the water. This should keep the mask from fogging up on you.

I snorkeled when I was a kid and still took the time to practice in the pool before I left for my trip. The snorkels are built so much better these days. You could always buy your own snorkel and mask set and then rent the fins. Got mine on a good sale at Sports Authority for about $25 (Body Glove).

I am envious of your upcoming trip to Hawaii. I was planning one recently and had to ditch it for the trip to Key West. ENJOY!!!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:27 AM

we just went to hanauma bay with our 3 kids. they loved it. its a very easy place to learn. the water is so shallow my 7 yr old laid face down just off the beach and in about 12 inches of water and all kinds of fish were there. a little black and white eel was right there in the water and everyone was taking pictures and videos of it because the water was so clear. its a great place to get comfortable in the water. very calm and swimmable. lots of places even further out where you can stand up to rest or adjust your mask. you will have a wonderful time!!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for those who were supportive about me being naive to snorkling. I'm not afraid of the water, good swimmer. However, since I live Az. the desert doesn't provide much use for snorkling. For those who thought this was humorous, come to Arizona and I'll teach you how to survive 115 degree temps!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Just yesterday I snorkled at a place called 3 tables just before Sharks cove on the North Shore of Oahu. It was great and not as crowded as Hanama bay. It is literally the beach before Sharks cove if you are coming from Honolulu if you reach foodland you have come to far. It is a tiny beach and no crowds.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:20 PM

Go to Snorkle Bobs!