Search

snorkeling and luau

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snorkeling and luau

Can anyone tell me a good place to rent snorkel equipment on Kauai? We are staying in a condo and I don't think snorkel equipment will be available there. Also, we have never snorkeled--do we need to do anything (lessons?) in order to get the most out of it? We are thinking of attending a luau while there. Any suggestions of a good one? We usually prefer less fancy rather than more. Thanks.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:20 AM

You do not need a lesson--at the snorkel shop they will show you how to put the mask on. Otherwise, you just lie on top of the water and look down.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Just back from Kauai,and rather than renting we bought our snorkel gear at the local Wal-Mart,We got a mask,snorkel,fin combo pack for about $25.00.We were there for a week so it made sense to buy rather than rent.
If you have never snorkled before go to either Poipu beach or Lydgate Park to practice in.Both have protected areas to learn in.After your comfortable with it try Hideaways Beach in Princeville for a nice spot.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:38 AM
rasnes5

This may seem obvious-however-it is a good idea to be a good/strong swimmer if you are snorkeling. I have snorkled reefs 5 miles out in waves of 3-5 ft. and even in "calm" close to shore water I would advise wearing fins and have the leg and arm strentgh to swim if you need too. The most important "Lesson" should include how a mask fits YOU properly. I would go to a
decent outfitter, not a Mart, and get fit. You need not spend a lot, but it will be worth every penney to have a trained sales person who participates in snorkel and scuba advise you on proper fit so you are not constantly evacuating water from an ill fitting mask. The fins I guess you could rent-the snorkel-never!
Have fun!
R (the water child) 5

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:18 PM

Just don't snorkel where you don't see other people in the water.