Stingray City

Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Stingray City

Is this experience better (e.g. interaction with the rays etc..) if you snorkel or SCUBA Dive?

Thanks
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:55 AM

Kristen-
IF you are referring to the Caymans here, there is no need to snorkel or scuba to interact with the rays--we were there last year and the water was knee to waist high. The sting rays swim right to you.

You can snorkel or dive at the barrier reef which is near Stingray City. I don't recall seeing many rays near there.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:56 AM

Stingray City Sandbar is a good experience for snorkeling as the water is shallow, crystal clear with a smooth bottom and the stingrays will come over to you and swim all around you. You can still snorkel around and observe them swimming under water right next to you. We were able to feed them and I actually held one! It's a great experience. There is also another Stingray City that is not the sandbar that I understand is better for divers, although you can still snorkel it, however the water is too deep to stand in so if snorkeling I think that you essentially observe the stingrays swimming around in the water beneath you or you can dive down briefly as a snorkeler or obviously for more extended time if scuba diving.

In terms of the experience and interaction with the stingrays, I would recommend the sandbar. Also, be sure that the boat you go out on only takes a small number of people. Have seen the boats fromt the cruise ships pull up with huge numbers on them ... this would seem to take away from the whole experience (too many people in the water). We went with Captain Dexter on a catamarran and there was only about 12 of us. I also have heard that the trips with Capt Marvin are good.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:31 PM

I recommend snorkeling.

If you want to SCUBA, do a wall dive instead - you won't regret it.
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Without doubt - snorkeling! Less expensive, less dangerous, less training and not as clear and free of an avenue with all the gear.

When we went it was great and the divers ended up taking off their gear to swim with the people snorkeling. There is alot to see if you enjoy snorkeling. Sand sharks, eels beautiful fish etc.

Also - go to Rum Point by ferry one night around sunset and have a drink in tree strung hammock and the have dinner.
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I was originally planning to so SCUBA since we will be newly certified but I think I will save that for the walls.
Apr 4th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Kristen, you can enjoy Stingray City just as much (if not more) snorkeling than you could with diving. I dove Stingray City and wish I had snorkeled instead. Most of the time, SCUBA is a much better experience than snorkeling, but Stingray City is an exception to the rule. Besides, if your bottom time is limited, there are many dives in the Caymans that are much better than Stingray City.

You've made the right decision.