Want Disneyworl Vacation - NEED HELP

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want Disneyworl Vacation - NEED HELP

I am hoping to take a few days in October to go to Disney 's Animal Kingdom and Epcot. I see lots of packages for couples - but I want to travel alone.

I will need a package that includes all transportation (including to and from the airport) because I do not drive.

I just don't even know where to start looking. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

TIA!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Most packages that I have seen to almost anyplace can be modified for one person if you call - but then you have to pay an enormous "single supplement". I think you would do better to put this together yourself.

All you really need is air and hotel - you should be able to do that. It is my understanding that all in-park accomodations have available some sort of transportation to parks. Many out of park hotels say they offer shuttle service - but I would be wary of that since we have had problems with promised shuttles to various places in various cities (not WDW - never tried there).

Might repost with topic such as WDW hotel with airport shuttle or WDW hotel for single person. Don't know city of origin, but all sorts of air deals to Orlando.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Be careful about packages - alot of them add on things you aren't going to use like Mini-golf. You probably want the most basic package that includes room and tickets, this is called a Magic Your Way package. There is a dining plan that can be added on for about $40 per day which includes 1 counter service meal, 1 Table service meal, and a snack - you'll have to decide whether or not that is worthwhile to you. This is called the Magic Your Way Plus Dining. You can book this directly through WDW - phone number 407-W-Disney. Another option is to look for a good "room only" price and then purchase your tickets seperately.

When you say, "a few days", do you mean 3? Room only reservations can be changed or cancelled without penalty up to 5 days prior to check-in. Packages must be changed or cancelled 45 days in advance to avoid a penalty. If you try to change your reservation so that it decreases the total cost 45 days or less prior to your arrival, you'll incur a $50 fee. YOu can call and talk to the Disney people and you won't be pressured to commit to anything right away. They're very nice and very helpful.

Your transportation to and from the Orlando is included when you stay at a Walt Disney World hotel. They call the service "Disney's Magical Express". It is very nice. Transportation to and from the theme parks is provided when you stay at the WDW resorts.

You are going during the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival (Sept 29 - Nov. 12, 2006. There's no extra fee. "Global marketplaces feature culinary samples, wine and brews. The appetizer sized portions range in price from $1.50 - $4.50 and provide the perfect opportunity to try the traditional cuisine from around the world."

Can you tell me what level of hotel you are looking for? Disney has three levels: Value, Moderate, and Deluxe.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:06 PM

www.disneylinks.net has a lot of links with Walt Disney World information.

www.waltopia.com gives Epcot history - Walt's vision and plans. It's a neat site.

allearsnet.com & wdwinfo.com have a lot of good basic information about the parks.

There is a great online subscription service that costs about the same as a guide book. It is called Tour Guide Mike - www.tourguidemike.com. We used the service for our trip in June and found it very, very useful. There is express planning with information strictly about your projected visit time. You would join the "October 06" club and would be sent information with updated info and events. and there is touring plan information. You aren't going at a terribly busy season but a touring plan can really help you get the most of your time.

Epcot has two areas: Future World and the World Showcase. The World Showcase has pavillions showcasing various countries. The big thing is to be very aware of the Entertainment schedule - each pavillion has one or more entertainment. If you don't know what is happening and when, it feels a bit like you're just going from gift shop to gift shop. I'd be happy to recommend some things that you might enjoy,if you can let me know your interests.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Another thing - the WDW reservations people are not allowed to offer discounts but you can ask and they can answer. There are AAA / CAA- discounts room-only discounts, periodic airline employee discounts,etc.

www.mousesavers.com has money saving information & tips.

In my first response, I meant to say that "Disney's Magical Express" is Disney's free transportation to & from the Orlando Airport when you are booked in a WDW hotel.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

I want to do this as cheaply as possible.
It will just be me (33 years old - don't need anything fancy) I am looking at the Pop Culture hotel.

As far as my interests, I have been to Epcot years ago (over 10) I absolutely LOVED it. Everything about it from the Science to traveling the "world." I hardly remember anything though. Ha!Ha! It will be like seeing it for the first time. ajcolorado, I can't think of what to tell you as far as what kind of entertainment I might like - let's start by telling me what you liked.

Thanks for all the help so far!!!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Pop Century is getting good reviews - they have the most frequent buses of any of the resorts.

A great website - giving schedules & general informaion- for WDW & Epcot entertainment is http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/

I enjoyed the World Showcase Players at both UK & Italy. They do silly skits - one King Arthur, the other "Romeo & Edna" that pull in some audience members. "Off Kilter", in the Canada pavillion, always gets rave reviews and is a favorite of ours - Rock music w/ a bagpipe (what's not to love?). Kristos is a Cirque du Soliel type balancing act. Jammitors is a Stomp like percussion group using garbage cans. "British Invasion" plays mostly Beatles music at UK. "Serveur Amusant" is a comedic balancing act in France. I likes "Mo Rockin" in Morocco but my daughter plays violin and I kind of like the Pop Middle Eastern sound. In Japan, the drummers (called Matsuriza) get good reviews. I really like "Miyuki" in Japan - she is a candy artist and does amazing lollipops that are really sculptures. I keep hearing great things about "OrisiRisi" - African folklore & drum circle - in the outpost but haven't had a chance to hear them yet. The "Dragon Legend Acrobats" are very impressive (China).

The schedules are subject to change but currently Tuesday is the best day for numbers of available entertainment acts.

The Animal Kingdom has a really amazing performance artist called "Divine". She looks like a vine - you can walk right by and not notice unless she moves. And she's on stilts.

The "Karuka Acrobats" impressed me but then, buff guys leaping around always impress me.

AK has other entertainment that I'm not as familiar with it. I think the Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade is very cute but might be too juvenile for your tastes. "The Festival of the Lion King" show is very good.

The Flame Tree Barbeque counter service restaurant is one of my favorites.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

ajcolorado,

THANKS! As it turns out, we have the same taste