Search

Mesa Verde

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mesa Verde

We'll be doing a driving tour of Utah in late August and are considering a side trip to Mesa Verde. Is it worth the detour? Are there any ruins that can be toured without climbing ladders, etc.?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:03 PM

I don't know the answer to your question but I do have the National Park link for Mesa Verde: http://www.nps.gov/meve/index.htm
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM

If you have enought time to spend a full day at Mesa Verde, then it would be worth the detour. It's an amazing place. Spruce Tree Ruins and Long House Ruins don't have ladders that I remember and they aren't mentioned on the offical website. There are stairs you have to walk down and then back up. Cliff House and Balcony House ruins do have ladders.

You can see some ruins from overlooks and there are ruins up on the mesa.

You can find out more information on each cliff dwelling here: http://www.nps.gov/meve/cliff_dwelli...lings_home.htm
Utahtea
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:41 AM

It is one of the most interesting and beautiful places we have ever been. Don't shortchange your time.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:43 AM

This is a must. There are ladders of you want to go down a kiva(round structure with an opening in the middle with a ladder).Paul
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM

Absolutely go. It's an amazing experience but do plan to devote a whole day to it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:19 AM

Be warned that you have to make reservations to join groups to see many sights in Mesa Verde these days--not a problem unless you arrive at a busy time. (No more scrabbling wherever, whenever, but it's for the sake of preserving the ruins.)
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:32 AM

Well it has been afew years that DH and I went. There was a very very steep path down to the main ruins. Then a ladder to climb up into the ruin. Well I made it down ok, but no way could I climb up the ladder to hear the guide. DH and I remained down. Then the extreme climb back up, which I almost did not make. Then we drove around the area, there were pull offs where we got out and was able to look across and see afew. It was awesome, but if you cannot climb steep grades straight up or climb ladders it is not place. We took a tour, we drove into the park, got the next tour.There was one gal they had to literally carry out.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM

As somebody else suggested, you need time to see the place. You can't just pop in and take a peek.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM

marleneawe,

There isn't just one main ruin. There are several and some have ladders and others don't. Do you remember the name of the ruins you toured? Was it Cliff Place or Balcony House?

Utahtea
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:57 PM

It was the Cliff Palace. I found my scrapbook on the trip. It was 100 ft straight down on very uneven stone steps. There were actually five 8ft ladders that one had to climb on this tour. I sat out most of it, not realizing that this was a very strenuous tour. And when we returned we took our car and drove through the park and saw several other ruins from a distance. But I am glad we stoped so I can say I have been there. I would recommend it, but for anyone with heart problems be sure and check before you take off. They never told us or any of us that it was going to be that strenuous. I was not the only one that day that had difficulties making the entire tour.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM

I guess a lot has to do with what kind of shape you are in and if you like ladders or not. My 3 1/3 year old son, back in 1982 didn't have any problem doing Cliff Palace.

Utahtea
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM

3 1/3 ???? son well lets just say I was a bit OLDER than that, and I agree about what shape one is in.....I made it down and was able to see it, and very glad as I said that I did. Just thought it a good thing to mention that it was not for everyone especially if you have heart or breathing problems. I do recommend it. I have no problems with ladders, I have to get on one to clean my windows from the outside. It was because after coming down to the area I could not do so unless I could rest. Being on a tour this would have held up the group, so I passed on it and remained below.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Ooops, that was suppose to be 3 and a half. But yeah, both my sons were hiking pretty good hikes at a young age.

Mesa Verde is at 7,000 foot elevation so I can see people with heart conditions having a problem with hiking in this area.

Utahtea
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Mesa Verde is fantastic. You should try to see it if you can, but as someone else said, it's really not a quick drive in drive out kind of trip. The best thing we did was to stay overnight at the lodge. We drove around a bit in the evening to some of the overlooks and without the day crowds its was an awesome experience. Then, we were right there the next day, easily joined tours and so on. Plus, we saw a double rainbow at daybreak!

Some of the tours aren't strenous, just discuss your concerns when you are booking.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:30 AM

We were just there in Sept 05 and did both Cliff Palace and Balcony House tours. Prior to both hikes, the rangers gave a very thorough talk about the hikes and made it clear that you should not go if you were afraid of heights or couldn't handle climbing up ladders, etc. They were very clear about the elevation and its effect on people with health problems. Cliff Palace was the easier of the two hikes and there were people of all ages on the hike. There are also plenty of overlooks where you can clearly see the cliff dwellings but hiking to them sure gives you a better look.