Waltham MA to Boston -- can we take the T?

Dec 26th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Traveler

Waltham MA to Boston -- can we take the T?

Because the price is right I'm thinking about staying in Waltham, and want to go into Boston without driving. Is there a T station in Waltham? If not, where would the nearest one be? Thanks for any help!

Dec 26th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Mina

Hi Traveler:

Are you staying in Waltham only because the price is good? If your goal is to visit Boston, it might be easier to stay in the city. Waltham is a ways out, and I don't believe you can take the T from there. Maybe a train, but I forgot. Do a search on Waltham on this board...I think someone asked the question before.

If money is the main concern, try priceline. My colleague uses it for Boston often. If you bid for a 4 star hotel in the Back Bay area, it's hard to go terribly wrong. She often gets the Colonnade (a decent hotel) for $100 a night. Even if you get something so-so, the back bay is a great area to stay in.

Dec 26th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Mina

I found this answer on another post. Hope it helps...

---

The nearest subway station would be in Newton-either Riverside or Woodland. Woodland is located just off the Route 16 Newton exit off 95/128, next to Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Check www.mbta.com for rates and directions.

Dec 26th, 2002, 03:00 PM
r-travels

Traveler - for most of Waltham, you would best reach Boston by taking a MBTA commuter train, rather than the T subway. The area is well served by buses too, but I don't know the numbers. Check www.mbta.com for details.

The trains can be satisfactory, but will not run as frequently as "T" subway does. I used to stay in Woburn and take "Lowell Line" to town from Mishawum station, adjacent to hotel, but that station has been closed. Any "inconvenience" was well worth the savings on hotel stay, so you will have to weigh pro and con's too. There have been posts too about good rates at airport area hotels with shuttles either to town, or to T stations.

From Waltham, look at the trains for Fitchburg or Worcester, and at the stops in/near Waltham. Suggest you call the hotel you think you are staying at to get advice from them. I find I often get better advice from HOUSEKEEPING than the front desk when inquiring about public transportation.

Dec 26th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Leslie

There are plenty of MBTA buses that will take you from Waltham to Boston within 15-20 minutes. If you don't want to leave from Waltham, you can take the buses from Watertown. But do make sure that you try one of the many restaurants on Moody Street in Waltham. Check out www.phantomgourmet.com.

However, you might also look at staying at the Holiday Inn on Grove Street in Newton, as it is next door to the Riverside (Green Line - D Line) that will take you into Boston. The hotel is right off the Route 128 exit in Newton. You also have the option to take the MBTA buses from the same parking lot. Also, the station Mina mentions as "Woodland" is called "Woodlawn".

I also suggest that you do not take the commuter rail from Waltham to Boston, as it will drop you off at North Station instead of Copley Square and South Station. The "T" buses will drop you off at 100 Federal Street in the heart of the financial district, and around the corner from Macy's.

Dec 26th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Mina

Thanks for the correction Leslie...I just copied it from another post, and I wouldn't know woodland from woodlawn from woodchuck!

Dec 27th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Traveler

Thanks for all your info. The main draw in Waltham is a 2 bdrm suite for $119. We're taking our 2 adult children and this seems like it would fit our needs best. I am still checking hotels closer to the T however. We've been to Boston many times and know our way around fairly well -- just never stayed in Waltham before. Thanks again!

Dec 27th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Jen

There are so many different ways to get into Boston from various sections of Waltham, I strongly recommend that you contact the hotel directly (or at least check out their web site) to find out how convenient their exact location is to the nearest bus or other T route. There's no subway station, but was others have pointed out, there is a commuter rail station and several bus lines.

Some suburban hotels offer shuttle service to and from the nearest commuter rail, too -- but check out the hours of both the shuttle and thte commuter rail.

Dec 27th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Donna

Best bet is the commuter rail. Go to www.mbta.com and see the Fitchburg Line for directions to the Waltham station, schedules, etc. End of line is North Station in Boston. From there, you can hop on the T, walk or taxi.

Dec 27th, 2002, 08:12 AM
John

I assume you are staying at one of the hotels off Rt 128 (or I 95 as the rest of the world calls it in that area). If so the most convenient way is to drive N on 128 to Rt 2 in bound and go to the Alewife T station. Should take about 10 mins. Uusually plenty of parking (hi rise garage) at $4 a day. Red line into Boston (goes by Harvard Square).
You could go in the other direction and park at Riverside and take the Green line but it takes much longer and is more expensive and parking is outdoors.
There are many great restaurants in Waltham so you would not have to go far, if you don't want to.
When are you coming?

Dec 29th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Cindy

Are you staying at the Doubletree? We stay there all the time because we have friends in Arlington. The pull out couch was OK when our kids were younger, but now at 13 and 16 we get one cot too. The hotel is very nice, but it is not a convenient place to stay to see Boston - not at all. If you have a car just drive downtown. You'll spend a lot more on the T than you will parking. Better yet, stay someplace fun downtown.