Walt Disney World: Shopping off-site

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our first trip to Walt Disney World in 10 days. And while we can't wait for the Magic of the Mouse, we'd also like to do a little back-to-school shopping. We are staying at the resort, and would be happy just to hit one outlet mall. Should we rent a car, or take taxis?
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM

I think you almost have to rent a car for the day. A taxi would be cost-prohibitive because most of the outlet malls are quite far from WDW.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:03 AM

I believe there is an outlet mall just off I-4 halfway between WDW and SeaWorld. (BTW, not sure what the tax on clothing is in Florida, but I might think about the relative tax issue and the fees you might occur for extra bags or weight from your airline.)
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM

For basic back to school shopping, I would recommend The Prime Outlets <http://www.primeoutlets.com/cntrdefa...p?cntrid=1077> at the north end of International Drive. Coming from WDW, renting a car would probably be cheaper than taxis.

Keep in mind that this is Tourist Central, with a bewildering array of shops, restaurants, hotels and more. Once there, you can navigate the entire International Drive area cheaply and easily with the I Ride Trolley <http://www.iridetrolley.com/>.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Does it have to ba an outlet mall? There is a fabulous mall called Millenia Mall about 1/2 hour from Disney. There are always tons of taxis there and they must be coming from somewhere. A car must be cheaper than a taxi though. We never even take a taxi to the airport (1/2 hour) because one way it's been about $50. Btw, the Millenia Mall is really upscale so if you're just looking for jeans and tees it wouldn't make sense. But if you love to shop you won't find a more gorgeous mall than this in many cities.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 01:45 AM

There are SO MANY malls and outlets in Orlando you will be able to shop till you drop.

Most of the outlets also have discount coupon books so either ask at your hotel or at the mall for the coupons they will make big difference in total costs.

Your hotel will have all the info on all the shopping in the area, so have fun.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 03:36 AM

I agree with one of the other posters that if you love to shop, you should go to the Mall at Millenia - it really is a beautiful mall and a wonderful way to get out of the heat and humidity for a little while.

Have fun!
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM

second Mall at Millenia.
for outlet shopping we liked PREMIUM outlet mall followed by PRIME outlet
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I like the idea of renting a car - it will give us a place to stash our purchases, also!

I have another question. Where can we pick up some food/wine/water staples once we arrive? And are these place more affordably reached by taxi?
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM

"Where can we pick up some food/wine/water staples once we arrive?"

That depends on how you will be traveling from the airport to WDW. If you have a rental car from the exact date of your arrival, it will be quite easy. There are several convenience store within 1-2 miles of the airport. If you are taking public/Disney transportation directly to your hotel, it will be very, very difficult. Which form of transportation will you use?

"And are these place more affordably reached by taxi?"

I think the sheer size (HUGE) of WDW rules this out.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

We will be using Disney transportation. We are staying for a week, which is why we wanted to put in a few provisions!
I did find a post somewhere on the Web that said we could get water at a gas station on the WDW property; also another that said there is a grocery store within walking distance of Downtown Disney.
But yes, I think the sheer size of the property is starting to sink in.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Walt Disney World covers 47 square miles and is about the size of San Francisco.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Disney tries very hard to ensure that any money you spend will be spent on Disney property.

Anyone know if there is still a Goodings at Lake Buena Vista??? If so, that's probably the closest, but not walking distance.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Goodings is indeed at Lake Buena Vista <http://www.goodings.com/frame_location.htm>:

S.R. 535 & I-4
407-827-1200
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I have spoken with the good folks at Goodings, and we will be taking a taxi to put in a few provisions there.
And a car rental is arranged for our shopping excursion later in the stay.
Your guidance for this Disney neophyte is greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM

papertraveller, have a great trip, and remember sunscreen, water, and comfy shoes are your best friends here in Central Florida.