Reload this Page >

Walking New York City

Search

Walking New York City

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 02:27 PM
sharon

Walking New York City

I have never been to New York City, but have been told that each 20 street equals one mile. Given that I usually walk a mile in about 15 minutes, I assume that it takes longer than that in New York City, due to crowds, things to stop and look at etc. But, if you are planning to walk to a certain destination and need to estimate the amount of time it will take, and your are a very fit person, how long should you estimate to walk a mile? (I am also assuming each of these little streets has a stop light that takes a minute or so th change, or is that in incorrect assumption?)

Thanks for your patience with this silly question.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Paul

Mostpeople will not cover 20 blocks in 15 minutes, for the reasons you point out. More realistic is about 15 blocks in 15 minutes, walking at a normal or slightly brisk pace. Going west/east, across the avenues, will take almost twiceas much time from avenue to avenue. So, crossing 5 avenues will take about 10 minutes' walk.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:21 PM
frugalFred

If you're looking for speed while you're walking ... this will seem very unfriendly ... look ahead but not into anybody's eyes, like you mean business. If you make eye contact with someone directly in your path, then the two of you feel inclined to "negotiate" over who moves aside.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:39 PM
PokeyKatie

Sharon -

I don't know if the "very fit person" analysis works for everyone either. I can run a 3:30 marathon, but have a tough time walking a mile, with no stops, in much less than 20 minutes. Eveyone who knows me thinks it's absolutely bizarre (including me). Go figure.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Maxie

There are short (north/south) and long (east/west) blocks. With busy sidewalks and stopping for traffic lights, one-two minutes per short block and three-five minutes per long block is more realistic. If you want to cover a mile in 15 minutes, best to go really early or really late when there aren't many people or much traffic. What's your hurry?

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Howard

You can figure about a minute per block walking north-south. Going east-west can take up to 3-4 minutes for some blocks.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 07:17 PM
ny

You also have to consider all the crap that clogs the sidewalk, like vendor carts that should be illegal and people who can't seem to walk down the sidewalk in a straight line.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Marlie

Yeah, you can figure on one minute per short block if you don't hit any lights. Or, jaywalk or go against the lights.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Howard

I'll amend my previous one-block-a-minute comment by adding that I was referring to a brisk pace. Since you are a first-timer, you might slow down to check on the sights. Any reason why you need this specific estimated speed?

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:05 AM
xxx

You will not walk that fast. You will find yourself caught up in the city and its sights, smells, people and attractions. I'd figure about 30 minutes a mile and that is a fairly brisk pace. By the way, I am also a runner.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Elizabeth

I agree with the majority who say a minute a block. Except I'd make an estimate of 3 minutes for a crosstown block.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 05:36 PM
x

With stops for traffic lights one mile will take less than 20 minutes. The 20 blocks to a mile is for walking north/south . Walking east/west from avenue to avenue is almost the same as walking three north/south blocks with the following exceptions:.
3rd AVe to Lexington Ave, Lexington to Park (4th Ave), Park to Madison and Madison to 5th - each is about 1 1/2 blocks.
Broadway runs on a diagonal. In midtown from 59th to 44th it is between 7th and 8th Avenues. FRom 44th to 34th it runs between 6th and 7th. Most traffic lights are on a 30 second cycle.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Carrie B.

You cannot walk down 5th Avenue, you must strut. Strutting takes at least 5 minutes per block.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:48 AM
ILive

The 20 blocks that = 1 mile are North-South blocks, along the Avenues. East-West (along the Streets) blocks tend to be much longer, maybe 6-8 to a mile.