Search

Walking in New York

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking in New York

Hi. I'm planning a trip to NYC in early September, and part of it will revolve around shopping (but of course!)

I was looking at the map of Manhattan, but can't figure out the distances.

On one of my shopping days, I had hoped to cover Century 21, with a walk over Nolita, Soho, and ending in the west village.

Is the walking doable? The shopping will depend on my shopping speed, generally pretty fast. But are the distances too far to walk?

Thanks all!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 02:18 AM
rqf

The distance you will be walking is berween 2 and 3 miles. probably closer to 2 miles. It is simple to judge distance in NYC from 1st St. to 125th Street. . Twenty blocks is one mile when going north/south (street to street). When going east /west one block is almost the equivalent of three north/south blocks.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 03:46 AM

the bus system is pretty good in the city, inexpensive, and between walking and the buses you would do fine to hit an even bigger area. we took the bus from midtown down to battery city and starting walking up town, then at the end of the day got transportation back from soho. piece of cake.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:47 AM

Does the map you're looking at not have a scale marker? RQF is right that it's easier to judge distances uptown where the streets are more uniform. Downtown is trickier. The area you are looking to cover is definitely do-able, but you should be aware that you will cross several major thoroughfares like Canal Street which, depending on your route, can be a little tough for pedestrians to manage.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:48 AM

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that you can easily take the subway from near Century 21 (to the south is the Wall Street stop, to the north is the Fulton Street stop) on the 4,5 line, switch to the 6 local train at Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall and get out at, say, Spring Street where you will be smack in the middle of SoHo.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:49 AM
GoTravel

Downtown isn't on a grid like much of Manhattan island however, you can pretty much count on:

10 Crosstown blocks= 1 mile

20 Street blocks= 1 mile

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:11 AM

You could also walk on a path that would take you through Chinatown, Little Italy, Canal Street, Lower Broadway, and the East Village. This walk is doable too.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Listtemac -

I can;t believe your remark about crossing "main" streets like Canal. You'll have people thinking they're 8 lane superhighways and you need to run for your life.

They're perfectly normal 2-way main (2 lanes in each direction) streets (most streets in Manhattan are one way only) and there's so much traffic during the day it moves very slowly anyway.

Anyone who canl;t figure out how to cross Canal street should be back in elementary school with a crossing guard.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:38 AM

And if you are like many people, being told something is a mile really doesn't mean much. I like to think that it takes roughly a minute to walk one block in Manhattan (north/south -- the short blocks), and 3 to 4 minutes to walk each east/west block. In other words, generally speaking it will take about 10 minutes to walk from 24th to 14th Street. Obviously this doesn't take into account stopping to window shop.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:48 AM

The grid distances posted above are not entirely accurate.

North/south, yes, 20 blocks is one mile. (So if you walk from 42nd St to 82nd St, that's 2 miles.)

East/west, the "long" blocks are about 4 north/south blocks and the "short" blocks are about two. The short blocks are those between 5th and 3rd Avenues.

In my opinion, if you're healthy, few distances in Manhattan are too far to walk. You wouldn't want to walk from Battery Park to the Guggenheim, of course, but that should be obvious.

Enjoy NYC!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:51 AM

NYTraveler -- I was thinking of that part of Canal that is near the tunnel. Say, over around Hudson Street. If you've ever tried to cross there, it is way more than 2 lanes and the lights aren't long enough to make it across. I disagree that a person who isn't from NY and may not walk as much as we do here needs to be "back in elemenary school" if they find that difficult! I also think that's a kind of a snide way to make your point.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:04 AM
GoTravel

Gekko, according to

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=492

Facts and Stats
20 uptown/downtown blocks and 10 crosstown blocks equal approximately one mile Manhattan total area in square miles: 22.7 Manhattan length: 13.4 miles (21.5 km) long Manhattan widest point: 2.3 miles (3.7 km) Manhattan narrowest point: 0.8 miles (1.3 km) at narrowest point New York City total area in square miles: 301

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM

GoTravel, I don't care what that website says, no way do crosstown blocks AVERAGE the equivalent of only 2 north/south blocks.
Gekko's posting is much more accurate!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Not to belabor what's obvious if one looks at a map, but the distance between 5th & Madison, Mad & Park, Park & Lex, and Lex & 3rd is roughly half that as the distance between the other avenues.

The long blocks, west of 5th and east of 3rd, are approximately 4 north/south blocks, and the short blocks between are only two. Trust me -- it makes a big difference if you're walking from point-to-point crosstown.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 09:06 AM

On old NYC maps you will see that Park Avenue was originally called 4th Avenue. It is midway between 5th and 3rd avenues. A small bit of 4th Avenue still exists, between Astor Place (8th St) and 14th St.

Anyway, most New Yorkers would say that they walk a mile (20 N/S blocks) in 20 minutes. To walk the route miranti describes, without stopping, might take an hour. One could spend a nice afternoon along this route, with interesting shops and neighborhods along the way. There are plenty of transportation options if you decide you've walked enough.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 09:24 AM

The hardest part of that walk will not be the walking...it'll be the schlepping. Don't buy more than you can carry for a few miles.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:14 AM

The walk is technically doable, but I wouldn't recommend it. Go to Century 21 and then take the subway as one of the other posters recommended up to Spring St - the 6 train stops there and you will be smack in the middle of Soho. From there you can walk around Soho, Nolita and the West Village. Depending on how much you explore, it will still be a nice walk to cover all of these areas - but these areas are worth it. I would concentrate on Soho & the West Village (vs Nolita). Soho has great shopping and restaurants, the Village has quaint tree lined streets, little boutiques and nice restaurants.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Lissettemac -

I'm sorry if I seem snide - but in fact what I said was perfectly correct. Crossing Canal st is no major challenge to the average person. (Why would you assume anyone would chose to walk across the entrance to the Holland tunnel?)

To someone who's not familiar with the area you;re giving a very skewed point of view. And creating anxiety/concern when there is no reason for any.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 10:54 AM

HI--the last time we were in NY, we figured we walked 4-6 miles/day. It is really easy to cover a lot of ground there!!! However, that does not take into account packages, if shopping. That would change things a lot.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

hi everyone! thanks for all the great advice. I think I'll take the tip on taking the train from Century 21 to Spring St. I forgot about lugging around the shopping bags!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -