Walking around Waikiki

Search

Walking around Waikiki

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking around Waikiki

My wife and two boys are traveling to Waikiki next month. We don't want to rent a car (want a break from driving) but wonder how much walking we'll have to do when it's time to eat? Are there a variety of resturants around Waikiki? We're staying at the Hale Koa (military hotel).
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM

Looks like you are right in the heart of Waikiki so you should be fine, you don't need a car at all - lots of resturants all over the place. You are close to shopping, parks, and the of course the beach also.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:08 PM

There are also 3 restaurants in the Hale Koa.The hale Koa restaurant is excellent and the prices are reasonable.There are dozens of good restaurants within a 15 to 20 min. walk.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:39 PM
dcespedes

I agree with Sherl, we ate at the Hale Koa while visiting friends who were staying there (nice hotel!)--the food was great! Enjoy a nice trip!!

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:10 PM

There are also several sight seeing Waikiki Trolleys that you can ride. You'll have to buy tickets, but there is one that is the dining/shopping trolley. If you can't find places you like to eat on Waikiki Beach, you can hop on the trolley and go to the mall or Ward Warehouse area and you'll find more restaurants.

Waikiki Beach is very easy to walk. The main street is filled with hotels, shops and restaurants. Hale Koa is within easy walk. Have a great time!
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:45 AM

Here is another vote for the restaurants at the Hale Koa. The prices are so reasonable and the food is so good, that there is no reason to leave. I have booked our luau for this summer. The price again is excellent at $30 pp. I don't think you will find one more affordable in Hawaii.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:25 AM

You can always that The Bus. It goes all the way around the Island and the drivers are very helpful.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Love the Hale Koa!

You might want to look into reservations for the magic show at the hotel. It's a lot of fun, especially since you have children.

The outside walk-up cafe has good food for a great price, and good ice cream cones to top off a good lunch! Yummy!

We always enjoy breakfast in Kokos Cafe, looking out over the garden. Try for a table with a view, rather than one inside. Such a nice way to start your mornings.

Biba's restaurant in the new building is nice, casual. Always have gotten good food there.

If you're there on a Sunday, their brunch is fabulous. You'll probably need a reservation for that too. But well worth it! That day you don't need lunch or even much dinner.

But anywhere else in Waikiki is only 5 or 10 minutes walking. No problem. But The Bus has a stop right across the street, and it will take you anywhere for a minimal cost. The shopping mall has one of the largest food courts you'll ever see -- everyone can pick what they want, plus there's also several restaurants there.

Happy travels...and Aloha!!
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:25 AM
E

Agree with all of the above--you won't need a car just to go out to eat, and how far you'll walk will be entirely up to you, as there are so many places to choose from along Waikiki, and on the grounds of the Hale Koa (possibly my favorite military benefit of all!). I would suggest that you leave W. long enough to see the North Shore, which is so gorgeous and totally different from W., but you could either rent a car for the day or take public transpo out there. Enjoy your stay!
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:21 AM

If you only plan to sightsee in Waikiki then a car will not be necessary.

Personally, I like having a car, I have been to Waikiki 30+ times and ALWAYS rent a car. It gets me to and from the airport and then out on all sorts of island side trips. There is much more to Oahu than Waikiki. I would not waste precious vacation time riding The Bus. Parking in the Hale Koa garage is very reasonable.
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:24 PM

Hi, we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village right next door to the Hale Koa and took a cab to the international market place and there were plenty of places to eat like the cheesecake factory, chili's etc. the cab was about $4 to $5 each way for four of us. the cabs are very easy to get they are everywhere. also at the Hilton there are plenty of resturants...of course very expensive. again you will have plenty of choices at your hotel. have a good time.
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:08 PM

I'd give real consideration to vivi's thoughts. The convenience of having a car to drive around the island and stop in at sites you and your family will no doubt enjoy is worth it if you can swing it. Some car rentals offer military discounts.
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:09 AM

There is so much within a ten minute walk in nearly all directions! Here are a few suggestions that no neelse mentioned yet: You are about a three minute walk from the Outrigger Reef, right oin the beach, at the corner of Saratoga Ave , across Fort de Russy park from Hale Koa. There's a lovely resturant just as you enter the lobby. It's called Cheif's Hut I think, and last year they had very good dinner specials for about $8 to $10 per person . Also a bar there with delicious pupus (hors d'oeuvres) and hula dancing on the dege of the little "pond" in the hotel. In the same hotel is a place right on the beach, called the Shore Bird, with a breakfast buffet, and lunch and dinner. You grill your own steak or chicken at dinner. The brekfast buffet is good, not great, but it is inexpensive. You can pick up a discount coupon book for it at any Outrigger or Ohana hotel. (There are loads of them all over the Waikiki area).
If you are there on a Friday eve, try to walk a next door and see the free hula show at Hilton Hawaian Village. Afterward, there's a fireworks show over the ocean that you watch from the beach right in front of the Hilton.
Next to Hale Koa is the US Army Museum defintely worth visiting.