walking across the Golden Gate

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
walking across the Golden Gate

Have read about walking over the Golden Gate. Would really like to do this with husband and two teens. How far is it to walk into Sausalito? Any advise from anyone who has done this before would be appreciated?

Thanks, Kathy in Tennessee
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:09 PM

It's 1.7 miles one way. Sidewalk is on the east side of the bridge. Sunrise to sunset it's open. They also take donations from walkers but iot's not reqwuired like it is for cars.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:30 PM
dln

Funny thing about dreaming of doing something and actually doing it. My husband and I walked the bridge and it was, well, just like walking any old bridge. Sort of a letdown. I think the Golden Gate is far more impressive in its majesty when it is seen, not walked on. Although it is fun to say you did it!

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Walk from the bridge to Sausalito, from there you can either take a Golden Gate bus or the Ferry. We tried to walk back once, and got lost, and we know the area. The walk is nice and easy, make sure you have water with you. It's usually windy on the bridge, dress properly. Don't forget your camera and camcorder!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Don't forget a windbreaker, and a restraining loop for your hat.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:06 PM

BayArea: or maybe not! "I lost my hat in San Francisco" how does this sound? Several years ago my son accidentally drowned a sock in a hotel's pool. Till now it's a highly useful conversation topic with his teenage friends. And a photo is proudly displayed.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:24 PM

It is fun! We did it on bikes, but we should have been on the other side!! One side looks like mostly walking. One side looks like it's mainly bike riders! Sausalito sure was worth it though...then a ferry ride back! Very cuddly!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:53 PM

Walk INTO Sausalito? That's a long walk! To get to the bridge from anywhere you can park is a ways, then the 1.7 mi. across the bridge, then down into Sausalito? Then walking to the ferry in Sausalito? Then getting back to your car? You're going to be doing a lot of walking.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:28 PM
cd

Grasshopper
Hello!!!! Welcome back!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Well, that's what I am confused about. Can I walk across the Golden Gate and then walk on to Sausaltio? How far is this walk?

Thanks, Kathy in TN
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Kathy,

Honestly, I wouldn't think it would be your best use of time (and my teens would have HATED me for initiating it). Walking across the bridge is indeed fun. But the road into Sausalito from the bridge is long and not really that pleasant to walk along. (now a bike is a different matter... if you can rent bikes, I absolutely recommend this trip). Keep in mind, the ferry takes you to the Ferry Building, which is a long way from where you park (?) to walk on the bridge.

If you have a car, a better choice might be to drive to the north end of the bridge and park at the Vista point and then walk across (or half way and back), then drive into Sausalito. If you do that, be sure to drive up to the Marin Headlands (on the west side of the highway) for some really fabulous views (and hiking trails if you're interested).

Alternatively, take a ferry to and from Sausalito. Seeing the city from the Bay is an absolute must for any tourist. It's an altogether different perspective.

Hope this helps. If you want more SF tips, feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:39 AM

It's a great walk but quoite an additional hike to Sausalito once you get across the bridge. There is a bus that stops just past the bridge and will get you into Sausalito but it runs rather infrequently on weekends - probably only once every 45 - 60 minutes. If you knew what time the bus stopped there ytou could time the walk to end ten minutes or so beforte the bus arrived - I waited close to an hour. Take the Muni bus out to the bridge, walk across, bus to Sausalito, have lunch and then get the ferry back to SF
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:16 AM

My sister and I walked across and my hubby was happy to meet us in the parking lot on the other side in the car. We then drove on to Sausalito. I got a kick out of doing it and have fond memories of it still.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Doh

We rented bikes and went to Sausalito, and then took the ferry back-- one of the highlights of our trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:09 PM

You can rent bikes from Blazing Saddles, which has a location right at Fisherman's Wharf near the ferry terminal for Sausalito. From there, ride your bikes over the Golden Gate and into Sausalito (Blazing Saddles will provide you with detailed directions for this route...it's easy and very scenic). Spend the day in Sausalito if you like, then catch the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf and return your bikes. I live in SF and have done this many times with visitors. It's always a hit (and I never get tired of doing it, either!) Have fun!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Jed

Is there a bus from Fisherman's Wharf or downtown that gets you to the place close to where you start walking across the bridge? We won't have a car, and don't ride bikes. Thanks.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:16 AM

3 MUNI buses take you to the bridge: bus 76 runs on sundays and holidays only, buses 28 and 29 run every day. It will take 2 buses from the Wharf or downtown areas. The MUNI website has a very good map with all lines in color.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Clicked "post" to soon.

There are also Golden Gate transit buses, but they wouldn't let you to get off on the San Francisco side of the bridge. Not sure how far from the bridge they stop on the other side. Anybody knows?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Walking the bridge was a must for us on our first SF visit. (We managed with bus and feet only.) We had been told that there was a bus from near the end of the bridge into Sausalito -- found the bus stop, and waited. And waited. (I think it was a Sunday.) Eventually a police cruiser happened by and told us buses were scarce, and walking would be quicker. They pointed the way to walk down into Sausalito -- a (not too long) and winding road down to the right, as I recall. No sidewalks, but not a problem. We're 50's, average walkers, nothing special -- walk was downhill, not hard or too far.

We loved spending some time in Sausalito and catching the ferry back around sunset. We'd do it again!
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM

SBTrvlr.....regarding the walk from the bridge into Sausalito.....about how many miles was it and how long did it take you? Is it via a heavy-traffic road or is it a pretty relaxing walk? I've been wanting to do the walk across the bridge/walk-to-sausalito/ferry home trip for a long time. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -