Walk-in for French Laundry lunch?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on the waiting list for lunch at the French Laundry for about six weeks. There are two of us, hoping to do lunch on Sunday 8/31.
If we don't miraculously hear something in the next few days, we plan to call the morning of. We're also considering driving to the restaurant on the off chance that someone will no-show or be late, and we can get in.
Has anyone ever gotten a table with this method? The French Laundry staff told me we were welcome to come by on the day of, they didn't dissuade us.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:33 PM
jor

Would this be the French Laundry in St. Louis, Topeka, Fort Henry, St. Paul, Lancing, New Orleans, or Cleveland? Please specify.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:35 PM

Or Yountville? If it is the one in the Wino Land and you do get in, will you report back? I haven't been yet--I have trouble planning that far in advance!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There's only one French laundry restaurant and it is in California.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:42 PM

I settled for his cookbook.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Come on cigalechanta, I went to the French Laundry in Houston. Caliphonia can't lay claim to everythin'!

Except perhaps phony recall elections.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:08 PM

lol..It's news to me that Keller opened a branch in Houstan, I apologize IF I'm wrong, don't get your shorts in a knot.
And I am not praising California. Don't read too much into things, wemr
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:37 PM

No bets, but most nicer restaurants require that folks call and confirm the morning of their reservation, or they call the guests to confirm. So, you may get lucky the morning of. And then, plans change and folks cancel. You just never know.

We had a reservation in NYC months in advance once for 5:30 dinner. However, we'd had a substantial breakfast and at 5:00 realized we just weren't ready for a three course repast. When I phoned to cancel, I expected them to be ticked off. Instead, they said, "You can't imagine how happy the couple standing by the front door is going to be when we tell them."

I cannot imagine how the better restaurants manage reservations. They want to be fully booked, but not overbooked, but not turn folks away when there are typically "no-shows".

Is there anyplace in the area that would be a good back-up?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:16 PM

I heard it takes months to secure a reservation at the French Laundry. I haven't even attempted because of the prices. Last time I ate in something as pricey was Chez Panisse, but it was free because I happened to secure a certificate for dinner for two. People who've gone to French Laundry apparently think the experience is worth the cost. If you do manage to get in, let the rest of us know what it's like...
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:47 PM

Sorry for the silly question, but...how long does it take to get to French Laundry from San Francisco?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Tansy, when we were in Napa recently we were told that you can sometimes get in without the months in advance reservation. The restaurant will seat you if you are there and they have a no show - it's just a matter of luck. So I guess if you don't hear from them, show up and see what happens. If you can't get in, there are other very nice restaurants in the area. By the way, we went to their other restaurant, Le Bistro, and weren't that impressed.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:55 AM

Correction - meant Le Bouchon.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Just to confirm, jor, I do mean the French Laundry in Yountville.
anneofingleside, they only take reservations two months (to the date) in advance. Apparently people are lined up outside the restaurant every morning!
I think we'll call in the morning, then drive out and see what happens. Unfortunately we're staying in Sonoma Saturday night, and need to drive to Carmel on Sunday, and Yountville is in the wrong direction . . . but I consider French Laundry a once-in-a-lifetime experience so what the hay.

Any other lunch recommendations in the Yountville area, in case we don't get a table at FL?

I'll definitely report back and tell you how it is, if we get in. There are also detailed reports on chowhound.com.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Mustards Grill in Yountville is well-known and good- NOT like the French Laundry,but still very good food....

Also

Piatti Ristorante
6480 WASHINGTON ST
YOUNTVILLE, CA
94599-1294
PHONE
(707)944-2070

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Okay gang, just got back. Did NOT get in to French Laundry. Went by at 11:00am, told them we were on the waiting list and asked about cancellations -- none. They told us to come back at 12:30 to see if anyone no-showed or if a table had freed up. We went to Mustard's Grill and had a bloody mary (delish), then after much indecision decided to go back to French Laundry at 12:30. Still no table. We ended up going down the street to Le Bouchon. Had salad, french onion soup, and steak frites, with a few glasses of Stonestreet cabernet. Very good meal but it's crowded and I wish they'd just make the place a bit more casual . . . they do the white tablecloths and have many formal touches, but tables are VERY close together so you're likely to get bumped by waiters and your neighbors -- it would feel better if they'd just let their hair down a bit. By the way, there were only a few things on the menu which appealed to me. I do like French food but I wasn't in the mood for frog's legs. (That was the special.)
FYI, the menu at Mustard's looked very good. LOTS of variety. Not too pricey. It was just a little too loud for us -- the game was on in the bar, and the employees were of the "Hey, how ya doin'?!?" variety. I'm sure the food is good, if the dishes I saw coming out of the kitchen are any indication.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:35 PM

Sorry to hear you couldn't secure a table at French Laundry. I hope I get to do it one of these days.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:37 PM

I think you should have just stayed for lunch at Mustard's. I've eaten there a number of times and while yes it is casual friendly (is that such a bad thing instead of the pretensions at other places?) the food is always top notch.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:52 PM

The Martini House in St. Helena is very good- lovely outdoor dining and a good choice if you don't get in to the French Laundry. Give it a try next time you're in Napa valley.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Well, Patrick, I disagree. It was worth it to give FL a try, we loved the steak frites at Le Bouchon, it gave us a chance to see that much more of Yountville, and of course we loaded up on pastries at the Bouchon bakery before heading off to Carmel!

I'd also like to say that one of the best meals of the short trip to Sonoma was at The Girl and the Fig in Sonoma square. Beautiful spot, we had a late lunch in the courtyard and just loved this place. Not too pricey, either.