Reload this Page >

Walk Across Brooklyn Bridge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:59 AM
NY Visitor

My daughter and I are doing a theater weekend July 25. One of the things suggested that we've never done is ... walk the short walk across Brooklyn Bridge and have lunch in Brooklyn Heights.

Can anyone suggest a good, "neighborhood feel" restaurant and other 'must sees' within easy reach (walk)?

Can we get a cab to take us back to Manhattan?

Any thoughts on this topic very welcome.

Thanks. Merci. Gracias.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Elfie

Well, the BB isn't really a "short walk" at all, the Bridge is very long and the walk can be a challenge for people who aren't really fit or who have problems walking. But, if you like to walk, by all means -- great experience, beautiful view (even though there is a hole in the sky where the towers were.) Anyway, once you're over the Bridge, bear left and take the steps down to the street level, and walk up thru the Park you'll see ahead of you. Walk straight thru thge Park until you come to Montague Street. Plenty of nice places to eat there, and you will easily catch a cab back to the city if you stand on the corner of Montague and Clinton Streets. Have a fun time.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:12 PM
M

I topped a few other postings that covered this subject for your review.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:16 PM
JKNYer

Its actually over a mile start to finish to get across the bridge pedestrian path.

There are many nice restaurants along Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights.
There's the HIGHLY APPRAISED Grimaldi's Pizzeria/Restaurant (of which I'm not a big fan but everyone else is) close to the exit from the walkway, but I usually go to La Traviata on Montague for Italian. There's plenty to choose from in that area depending on your mood, the Heights Cafe is also quite good and nice.
I'm not sure what you mean by Neighborhood Feel in this case, most restaurants in the Heights do have a slight "yuppie" feel (not meant as Negative comment) but thats the neighborhood.

Nearby must sees: The Promenade, Old Fulton Street Ferry Landing, Borough Hall (maybe)... There's the Transit museum not far away.
Cab to Manhattan? maybe possible along Court Street - but best bet is take the subway, its convenient and cheap.
JK

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:52 PM
plummie

We'd never taken the time to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge until visiting NY about 6 weeks ago. We really enjoyed the walk and the view. We took the subway to Brooklyn, walked down to the riverfront and then had great pizza at Grimaldi's. We walked it off going back to Manhatten. The views crossing in that direction are really more impressive. Elfie - we are a post-60's couple, and I have to wear a brace from my foot past my knee on one leg, so I don't think we're all that fit. The walk took us about 45 minutes total, with time spent taking pictures and reading the information placards. Have fun!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:10 PM
NY Visitor

Plummie...thanks for the comments. I know the subway system is a bit complicated for a rookie, but can you tell me what line(S) or help you received in figuring out how to take Subway to Bklyn?

We would like be coming from somewhere near Bloomingdale's in midtown.

Thanks.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:18 PM
plummie

Visitor-

I believe it was either the A or the C train to the High Street/Brooklyn Bridge station. We transferred, as I recall, at the city hall station. The (free) subway maps are invaluable as were the bus system maps. They should be available at any subway station. We also found the $17 for 7 days or $4 per day per person transit passes invaluable. You can get them in the subway station machines and use a credit card or I think maybe buy them at newstands. These are for unlimited rides on both bus and subway so if your feet hurt you can jump on the bus to ride a block or two. I've also sometimes called my destination (restaurant or whatever) and gotten transit directions from my starting point. Good luck!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:48 PM
rqf

If you enter the subway at 59th St. and Lexington Ave. (Bloomingdales) take a #4 or #5 express train, downtown, to the Broadway/Nassau St. station. Follow the signs to transfer to an A or C train. Take either to the High Street station in Brooklyn - it is the first stop in Brooklyn

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:41 AM
suzanne

A mile? You can't be serious. I walk over the bridge every weekend...I always thought it was about 1/4 mile. You must also be including that piece that goes all the way down Adams Street into downtown Brooklyn. That's not necessary - take the first stairway off the bridge instead (Washington Street/Cadman Plaza East) and cross the park to get to the Heights.

It's really not a difficult walk at all. We took my BF's parents (age 60, from midwest, non-walkers) across the bridge to Manhattan, then walked up to Canal Street and took the Manhattan Bridge home. They never complained!

If you want to subway it instead, rqf's directions are accurate.

As for lunch, Grimaldi's Pizza (rated best in NY) is located on Old Fulton Street, 4 blocks or so downhill from the subway. Pete's Downtown is also on this street...kind of touristy but still has that "neighborhood feel". The food there is Italian. The Water Street Bar is 1 block around the corner from Pete's. It's brand new and has spectacularly tasty, inexpensive food, and I love the look of the place (lots of bricks, metal, wood...kind of industrial). All of these places are 5-6 blocks from the subway...there really isn't too much closer than that!

Another option is Montague Street, 5 or 6 blocks in the other direction (uphill) from the subway, which has many cafes, and many types of cuisine. The Heights Cafe is good.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:55 AM
s

It may not be a mile ib length but the length is closer to one mile than 1/4 of a mile. I do agree it is not a difficult walk.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Statia

When I walked the bridge, I figured it would be about 1/4 mile, but it seemed longer than that upon completion (albeit a great walk). So, when I got home, I checked the Brooklyn Bridge website and it stated that the bridge is 1.14 miles, which did seem more accurate to me.

Also, be sure to look for those steps on the left at the end of the bridge. We missed them somehow, and ended up walking all the way into town.

Be sure to grab an ice cream at Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory and sit on the promenade at sunset...it's an enjoyable treat.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:25 PM
JKNYer

Suzanne, Its so enjoyable, the 1.25 miles seems like a 1/4 mile!
I too have walked it many times and never thought twice about the length - Last Saturday I noticed the green signs on the manhattan bound roadway: There's one that says "Center St - Next Exit 1/4 mile" and that sign is right past the 2nd tower - so its atleast 1 mile!