Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wailea hotels update: Fairmont, Four Seasons or Grand Wailea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this question has been posed before but not recently and some of these resorts have changed quite a bit in recent years...We are planning a family trip to Maui (Wailea area) in mid-August. The last few years, we have stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani(including last Christmas when it was packed and service and hotel room were not as great as previously-it seemed a bit more run down). We had a bad experience at the Grand Wailea at Xmas time a few years ago, but they do have great pools for kids!

The rates would be much cheaper at the Fairmont or Grand Wailea for our family but we have always wanted to try the Four Seasons... For those who have stayed there, do you think it's worth the $$$ to stay at the Four Seasons? Our kids are preteen/teens; quiet but love to swim.

Also, what about the Marriott? Is it improved now? We stayed there about 6 years ago!
Thanks for your help!
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:47 PM

Which Marriott are you referring to?
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Oh sorry! Wailea Marriott...
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:30 AM

Only if I was going with kids in the 3 to 12 year-old range would I even consider the Grand Wailea. Even then I think I would still go with FS.

The FS is one of my favorite hotels in the whole world. You are treated so well and not nickled and dimed. Snorkeling equipment is free for one hour every day. There is a reef 50 yards or less from the beach with fish, turtles, etc. The pool and beach cabanas are free. You receive free fruit, popsicles, lotion, and more while laying out. The pool is not big, but it is never crowded (in the pool). There is a great and big area for xbox, wii, etc. You can walk to all of the same places as the Grand Wailea. Go read the reviews on Trip Advisor.

The Grand Wailea just seems like a big resort while the FS seems like a luxury resort.
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:47 AM

>>

What about getting lounges at the pool -- is there a daily race, or are there plenty available at all hours?
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:35 PM

Wow, I am shocked to see the dislike towards the Grand Wailea! It is my absolute favorite resort here in the Islands. I thought I'd be helpful in this post being that I live on oahu and travel outter island frequently and have stayed at just about every resort possible. Hmmm, hope the recommendations above work out for you. I'd still have to say, Grand Wailea, without a doubt!
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

@DanM: Thank you for very helpful the information on the Four Seasons; you make a compelling case for the FS! I hadn't realized that cabanas were free, and had assumed that things like that would be pricier than at the Faimont Kea Lani. Once thing we would miss at the Four Seasons is the (relatively!) inexpensive deli/cafe at the Kea Lani (and also Grand Wailea)-it doesn't sound like the FS has anything like that. I am still torn!
@JessicaRDH: I have friends who love the Grand Wailea too! I think the problem is that it is such a huge hotel and when it's fully booked, they just can't handle service well. When we stayed there a few years ago at Xmas, we could never get seats near the pool and would have long waits in the restaurants (at dirty tables.) Rooms are fairly small compared to the other two as well. Our kids are 11 and 14 so they do still enjoy fun pools but maybe not as much as a few years ago. We have friends who have also enjoyed staying at the new townhomes (Hoolei)across the way; they are beautiful and huge-expensive but with 2 or 3 bedrooms.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM

I do not think I was negative on the Grand Wailea, but more very positive on the FS. It is one of the finest hotels I have ever stayed in.

We never had a problem finding a good place around the pool/beach.