Waikiki Accommodation

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Waikiki Accommodation

Hello from Melbourne, Australia. My husband and I (mid 60's)arrive in Honolulu on 17 February '07. We know very little about the country and would be grateful for any advise. We are not into swimming etc and as we only have 4 nights want to be close to public transport etc.(although a view of the water would be nice but not necessary.)We want something nice with a small kitchen, and linen supplied. Hoping to get something $150.00 per night or under. I have been looking at the VRBO site but getting confused. As we are going on to Palm Springs and our return tickets are out of Honolulu, what is the best way of buying a return ticket Honolulu to LA. With thanks in anticipation of some helpful advise. Mindi.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Resortquest Waikiki Banyon & Resortquest Waikiki Sunset are condos & are about 1 block from the beach.

Map of Waikiki hotels & condos. Map is a few years old. There are some changes. Some are Aston hotels are now Resortquest.

Anywhere in Waikiki is close to bus stops.

You can take a cab to Waikiki for about $30 or a shuttle about $9 each ($15 roundtrip).

4 day bus pass for $20 or $2 per trip.

http://www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.htm...260bb1d8c8b18a

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...hu_Hawaii.html

www.visit-oahu.com They will send a free brochure. There are over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & on the website. Click on OVB Yellow Pages.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Dusty 56438 so very much appreciated. Happy New Yaer Mindi xx
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:46 AM

Based on quite a bit of research I have done, it is my observation that Waikiki is quite remarkable and perhaps even unique among cosmopolitan beach destinations in the number of pleasant, _quality_ accomodations avaiable in the economy-moderate price range, many with views ranging from nice to spectacular.

What do others think?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:56 AM

www.ilimahotel.com

www.hawaiianahotelatwaikiki.com
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:59 AM

The Hawaiiana Hotel is in that price range, very nice, two small pools, pretty garden setting, and all rooms have a kitchenette. It's on Beach Walk about 3 blocks to the beach.

The Royal Hawaiian is even less money but very popular so hard to get a reservation. But all rooms have kitchens.

The Hawaiian King is another condo hotel in that price range. There are some units at this complex that rent direct thru the owners and some thru a hotel front desk, so it's a little confusing (I'm staying there next month so can let people know how it works out).

All are in central Waikik and it is easy to get around on public transportation (walking, bus, trolley, taxi).
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I don't think you'll find a water view in that price range
;-) suze
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Oops, I mean THE ROYAL GROVE hotel... I should drink my morning coffee before I type!!! sorry.

Obviously not the Royal Hawaiian which is a VERY fancy place!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM

As for your return tickets hnl to lax (we call them 'round trip' tickets over here)...you should book IMMEDIATELY while aa.com, united.com and continental.com all have it available at $277. The prices go up as your date approaches. These fares are pretty much non-changeable and non-refundable, however.
Don't book anything too early out of LAX since you have the drive in from Palm Springs which can be horrendous from 8 to 10am. I'd try for maybe a 1:30 or 2:30pm flight out of LAX if you can get it.
Better bet might be ata.com which flies nonstop from Honolulu into ONTARIO airport. ONT is much easier if your destination is Palm Springs. Or, if you desire to see Los Angeles..you might fly ata from Honolulu to LAX, but book your return flight from ONT airport. Car rental should be easy from LAX with ONT dropoff, but check the car rates first before booking this mixed itinerary.

Hope I'm not confusing you. If so, feel free to ask any questions!