Search

Question about 2 NYC hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about 2 NYC hotels

Hello I was in New York city this past October for work, I stayed in Jersey but was able to visit the city. I am planning on going back this april with my wife and 2 sons ages 4 and 8. To me taking the train from jersey was not bad but with 2 kids I think it would be much easier to stay in Manhattan. I have found 2 hotels that are decent prices and have good reviews by looking through posts here. The Newton Hotel and the travel Inn. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to which would be a better location for us to stay at. I am not that familar with the city, but from just being there it seems like the travel inn is in walking distance of more of the things we would like to visit. But agian I am not sure and tips and/or advice would be great
Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:33 AM

I would check onTrip Advisor site for their evaluation..I know some people think TA is biased (few bad reviews) However, in 3 yrs. of extensive travel in US, 99% of my experience with this site has been positive..
Also do a search on this site--"New York hotels" and you will h=get lots of info...
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I have not heard of the Newton Hotel, but there are so MANY in the city that one may be new. The Travel Inn, I can recommend, as being a couple of blocks from Times Square, but out of the way a bit so it will be much quieter at night. My cousin, and her family stayed there a couple of years ago and loved it for price and location. Also there's free parking and an outdoor pool, (probably still closed in April). There are lots of restaurants close by and a deli for inroom snacks and quick breakfast. Also staying in the city you have better access to the hotel if the kids get tired and need time rest.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:02 AM

The Newton is a very basic hotel on the upper west side. This is a mid-upscale residential area right next to the subway and 3 blocks from Central Park. The neighborhood has tons of great inexpensive and moderate restaurants that are used to kids ( a lot of families live in this area) and the Park will give the kids a place to let off steam.

But - the hotel is directly on Broadway - so there will probably be a lot of street noise - and the entrance is not very preposesing.

The Travel Inn looks more like a real motel - but has a location that is kind of off the beaten track. But it does have free parking (I think the only hotel in NYC).

I would look at tripadvisor.com to see reviews.

Given the choice I think the upper west side is much better for kids - but I would try to find someplace a step or two up from the Newton (Belleclaire, Excelsior etc).
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:08 AM
GoTravel

Between the two, The Newton Hotel. Agree with NYtraveler that the UWS would be easier with kids.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I looked on tripadvisor at the reviews and also found a comfort inn that is near Macys that seems to have good reviews and reasonable prices.
Thanks again
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Also look at the Super 8, I stay here several times/year. Keep track of the rates, they have nicely dropped for me, my last 2 trips- including last week at $100/night from first booking.

Excellent location.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM

We have stayed at the Travel Inn many times. It's best described as a basic motor inn. Few ammenities, small lobby, gift shop clerk/concierge (when open). Rooms are nicely (and freshly) decorated and housekeeping is meticulous.

On 42nd between 10th & 11th, it's a few long blocks from Times Square, but you can always take the crosstown bus. There are many convenient bus routes nearby for going all over the city. We prefer the buses to the subway. No stairways/hallways long transfers involved the buses. On the subway, you miss all the scenery traveling underground.

As mentioned above, there are lots of family friendly, inexpensive (for NYC) places to eat/dine nearby. The Theater Diner (across the street and a block east) has terrific food. It's more a quintessential NYC "coffee shop" than diner.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:26 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks!