Waikiki

Old Dec 25th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waikiki

Thinking of staying at the Royal Hawaiian in March. Has anyone stayed in the historic wing of the hotel? Is the Mailani Tower rooms a better choice for location within the resort? Any information on this property would very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 11:10 AM

I have stayed there many times. I love old hotels, so always choose the historic wing. It's a lovely property. I think you will enjoy it.

The only other place I stay on Waikiki is the Surfrider, another historic property.
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 02:19 PM

I adore Waikiki and go there often (would have been there last month were it not for the pandemic). Sorry, don't know the hotel other than visiting the property (above my pay grade) but can help with other things if you need info for things to do and how to get around Honolulu and Waikiki. My worry is that March may be a little soon to travel as far as things being significantly recovered and open.
~aloha~
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 06:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a wonderful stay in the historic section too.
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 10:17 AM

You need to check in closer to your travel dates. Right now I've read posts (on Trip Advisor Oahu branch) from people currently in Waikiki who are disappointed because they find it "depressing" with so many thing closed or limited.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 09:25 PM

I live on Oahu so here's the current info. There are still things closed in Waikiki, and many places have closed for good, but there is more open now than since last March when everything closed. Arrive with the proper covid test results, as well as having them loaded to the proper site, and you won't have to quarantine for 10 days. We wear masks everywhere but homes and vehicles, although I no longer wear one while exercising as long as I can get more than 6 feet away from other people at all times. I have been screamed at many times by residents who even wear masks while exercising. Be aware that more than half of the Oahu population is NOT in favor of tourists being on the island until covid is completely gone, so expect nasty stares and perhaps comments if you do something like not wear a mask. You don't have to wear one on the beach as long as you can stay 6 feet away from the nearest person. All bars are still closed down by the state. This has been the case since June. Some restaurants have bars and they are open, but most have the actual bar section closed. A lot of restaurants are just take out, but if they allow inside dining it is at 50% capacity. I think I've hit all the high points.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 03:00 PM

Hi..since you love Waikiki , questions! coming (hopefully) in October for 11 days. husband has 4 day meeting at the Honolulu convention center. thinking of staying at the Surfrider. looks like he can walk to the convention center from that hotel..agree?? he wonders if the other days we should go to another island?? but I feel like there is plenty to do in Honolulu ...what is your thought? I have been to Kuaia many many years ago., husband has never been to Hawaii. can we bike around the city? walk around and walk to dinner (if open)? thank you!!
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 07:15 AM

You should probably start a new thread. Anyone opening this one will read the initial questions about the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and not read far enough to get to your very different questions.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 08:19 AM

It's a little over a mile but can be walked. I would not bike in the area with all the distracted drivers. If you want to stay in the city atmosphere, Waikiki is fine, but you would get tired of it after a few days I would think. There is plenty of country on the north shore but you need a car outside of Waikiki. As for the other islands, it just depends on what you want to do.