Reload this Page >

Aston Waikiki Beachside and/or Royal Garden at Waikiki

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:42 AM
michele

Has anyone ever stayed at either of the above? I would appreciate any information. What did you like? dislike? Each is described as a boutique hotel with character. Did you find this to be true?
Thanks in advance,
Michele

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 10:48 AM
Lani

Michele,

Haven't stayed at either, but both have excellent reputations. Just stay away from the windowless rooms at A. W. Beachside (really!) Royal Garden is a bit of a hike from the beach, but they do have a shuttle that runs over there very frequently.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 09:02 AM
michele

Thanks, Lani. Windowless rooms indeed!
I emailed the Royal Gardens about their proximity to the beach as I hate to rely on shuttles and like to walk.

Anyone else know anything about these hotels? First hand experience is great.

Michele

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 07:27 PM
KT

Hi Michele:
I stayed at the Waikiki Beachside in Nov. 1998. Yes, as Lani noted,it is true that the standard rooms do not have windows; needless to say, we did not stay in the standard room. Even though we were only passing through Honolulu, we opted to stay in the next class of rooms, which did have windows.

Our room was very pretty, with Chinese antique furniture, but the room was small. A queen-sized bed predominated, and with armoire, nightstands and a chair, there was little room for anything else. Closet was standard size for hotel, bathroom also. Our room had a balcony, but overlooked the back of the hotel (again since we were just passing through we only went up to the rooms with windows, view was not a priority).

The hotel provides breakfast, which is served outside in a very nice courtyard/sitting area behind the hotel. Breakfast included coffee, tea, a variey of juices, muffins, danish and other pastries.

The front of the hotel opens on the Avenue just across from Waikiki Beach. Rooms in the front of the hotel overlook Waikiki Beach, with views of Diamond Head off in the distance. The Sheraton Moana Surfrider is across the street just to the right when facing the ocean.

Since it seems as if beach access may be a primary consideration for you, the location is nearly beachfront, with just a walk across the street required.
It seems as if the beach there is in the center of it all, with the requiste surfers and beachboys waiting across the road.

The hotel truly has a boutique hotel feel. The atmosphere is charming. But, with fewer than 100 rooms, the hotel does not have a restaurant or bar. I am not sure about room service, because we were not there for long.

While somewhat limited, the lobby is lovely, even elegant, and there are interior and exterior sitting areas, including the above mentioned courtyard. The photos of the lobby that I viewed before my stay depicted the area accurately.

Staff was accomodating, service was good, although not outstanding.

Other points of note. I do not believe the hotel has a pool. Also, like all hotels on Waikiki, we were charged to park our car; the W.B.charged 9.50 per day.

All in all, the W.B. is a place where I would consider returning. The only reason this answer is qualified is that I would like to one day stay at the Royal Hawaiian given its history, so if I were to return that would be my first choice.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
KT

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 07:14 PM
michele

Thanks, KT, for all your details. I, too, am considering the Royal Hawaiian. It has always appealed to me. I tend to like older places with a sense of history, but I have read such good things about the Beachside and Gardens that I wanted some firsthand information. Once again, thanks.

Michele

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 02:36 PM
jason

Try the Outrigger Waikiki. We had a great beachfront room, beautiful view, and a great location.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 02:55 PM
rmiller

I've stayed at the Royal Garden last year as I attended a wedding in Oahu and the wedding party & family stayed there. My room had a view of the Ala Wai Canal. The entrance side of the bldg. had construction going on across the street so I was lucky. There's a marble wet-bar and bathroom w/a tub & shower, mini-refrigerator, in-room safe and was very very clean. The maid would turn down the beds every evening. I would recommend it again, if you won't mind driving to the beach.(It's too much traffic if you walk to the beach).

You're within walking distance to TGIFs, The Hard Rock Cafe, & Eggs N'Things. They have shuttle buses to Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Overall, it's a quieter area so you don't hear alot of buses down below as in Kalakaua or Kuhio Ave.