WA state beaches

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

WA state beaches

We are heading to Seattle area this summer, and I'd like to spend a day at the beach. We have young boys (ages 7 & 5) so I'd like something not to rocky (looking for sand for the kids). Hoping some locals can refer a good beach for us. We are actually staying in Bothell, but will have a vehicle and don't mind driving a bit if we have to.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM

One beach that comes to mind is at Mukilteo State Park. It is on Puget Sound though, not the ocean! (If you want an ocean beach you'll have quite a drive). Mukilteo State Park has a nice beach access, with tide pools if you time the tide right. There's also a lighthouse & the ferry terminal is right there. If the kids want to ride the ferry that's a good place to do it - you can walk on, ride to Clinton, & ride back. I think it's just a 20 minute ride one way.
Here's a link:
http://www.stateparks.com/mukilteo.html

Serendipity42
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM

There's also Alki Beach in Seattle, Golden Gardens in Discovery Park, Kayak Point north of Everett, they all have nice sandy rock free beaches.

Serendipity42
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM

In addition to the above excellent suggestions, Magnuson Park in Seattle has a nice chunk of sandy beach. It's on Lake Washington though.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into them all, and go from there. I think I've been to Alki Beach before, just drove down the street, didn't get out the car. That seemed to be very popular if I remember right? The Mukilteo state park looks nice to. Thanks again everyone.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM

I'd go to Golden Gardens. It's closer than Alki and has more little kids - less crowded, too. I haven't been to Mukilteo, but that might be harder to get to.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Our favorite beach in Washington State is along the Pacific Ocean at Ocean Shores. We have spent many days there digging razor back clams and just enjoying the beach.

http://www.oceanshores.com/map.html

It probably would be better for at least an overnight visit.

There are beautiful campgrounds there where we camped.