COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

W Hotels in New York City

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

W Hotels in New York City

I just saw a deal from American Express that if you book any W hotel through them, you can stay 2 nights, get 1 night free.

Since I have already done calculations for the weekend we are planning in January, and with that special any Manhattan W hotel is within reasonable pricing. So I was wondering: is there any hotel which you think is better than the others?

We don't really mind what the location is (unless there is some aspect of one of thier locations that is special.) If we are out of the craziness of Midtown, thats fine, but if we are in Midtown, I think we should be fine - though I ask that if anyone thinks staying in Midtown is bad, please tell me.

(Also, we will have 2 adults and 2 children. Two Doubles works fine for us, as long as the beds are about avg. size for doubles.

Thanks for any input!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Union Square would be my choice. Realize that many Ws--well, many hotels in NYC generally--are small. Four is going to be a tight fit if the kids are approaching their teens.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

We're used to a tight fit, depending on where we go. But could you think of a place similar to a W in NYC that wouldn't be such a tight fit?
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM

I might suggest you check tripadviser as the reviews there are generally pretty accurate.

In terms of location the Times Square and Union Square locations offer the easiest subway routing.

The only one I've heard negative comments on is the one on Lexington Avenue.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM

There have been some negative reviews of the one on Lexington Avenue, but we stayed there recently and loved it. However, the room could barely hold two, let alone four.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM

there are 5 w hotels that i have stayed at in n.y. and the one at union square is by far my favourite.

the one on lexington, although a great location has miniscule rooms. stayed there once, never again.
the w court and the w tuscany are adjacent to each other in murray hill. a short walk to grand central and a longish walk to times square or herald square. it is a quieter neigbourhood so you don't hear all the traffic and honking and fire alarms. i have stayed a lot at this mid town location. the tuscany has larger rooms than the court. this is also where i have bumped into andy roddick with mandy moore in the lobby and george clooney in the elevator.

the w times square is well, at times square. the lobby is one floor up from the street level. the rooms have great views of the flashing signs. if you are above the 39th floor, the noise level is not so bad.

w union square has i think the best location.
the farmer's market is awesome and if you are into eggs benedict, this w has best of the lot.

enjoy!!!

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:04 AM

We had visitors stay at the Union Square W when it first opened (we live a few blocks away). They were 3 adults staying in a room with 2 double beds. By NYC standard it was a good sized room and very well appointed.

I think the location is great, much better than TImes Sq. TImes Sq is overly touristy and congested. Fine to visit, but you just need to look and leave. I've been in the TImes Sq W also, and found it a bit too dark and 'hip/trendy' for my tastes (lobby was loud with music, and dimly lit).

ALso restaurant-wise the Union Sq W is a great location. The neighborhood of Grammercy Park, Greenwich VIllage, East Village, Soho, etc are all within walking distance and are loaded with restaurants and stores both big and small. It's also a great area for kids, whether they be of the playground age, or teens. Union Sq Park also has the best green market in the city, even in January.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Agree with what's been said. The only W to eliminate is the W NY on Lexington ave. for the teeny tiny rooms (and while central, it's not a great location). Any of the others are fine, but really depends on your plans and the age of the kids. The Times Square location is great if you plan on a lot of theater and the kids aren't too young. Union Square is trendiest location and most interesting.

I'll add that Jan. is usually a great time to find bargains and you can probably find a hotel with more room for the same or less money. The Affinia.com hotels are all suites. The Eastgate Tower has a special on travelzoo.com for $159/night for a studio suite with kitchen. Certainly not very glamorous but well run and serviceable.

Several of the Hampton Inns have rooms with 2 queen beds rather than 2 doubles. The Hampton Inn Times Square North and the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square both have big rooms with 2 queens. Just a heads up.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:23 AM

(and while central, it's not a great location).

We loved the location!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 10:52 PM

Trekker,
I would second staying away from the W New York --their rooms are tiny. The Tuscany rooms are quite roomy -- we stayed their in 2 queens with our 2 teens twice and were very comfy. I personally don't like staying in Times Square, so I wouldn't recommend that one.
This year we have plans to stay at the W Union Square, but haven't stayed there yet so can't quite recommend it.

How did you find/work the American Express deal? Did you call American Express?

thanks!

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM

I am also interested in where the Amex deal is on the W. Can you post the link???
TIA
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Aha, I think I found it . . .
http://www.welcometowhotels.com/nigh...WH_AMEX_LNDGPG
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Miamibeachmoma, we stayed in the W on Lexington last weekend. I think you'd be happier staying in a hotel with bigger rooms.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Yes thats the link. That was the page that I was directed to from AmEx