VWP, proof of funds, 1st trip. HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I'm totally new to this and have been to so many different websites that nothing makes sense anymore!

I'm going on a 30 day trip to the US and am pretty sure I am fine with the VWP (no criminal history, less than 90 days, onward ticket, etc.). But I am worried that maybe I missed something and mightn't get into the country to begin with. I'd be devastated if I went all that way and someone didn't like something about me and sent me home. Yep I live up to my name.

Also someone mentioned to me that I need proof of funds. What do I need for that? I'll have one of those cards that have the visa logo but are connected to my cheque acct. Do I need a bank statement? And how much do they require you to have to show that you can support yourself?

Also will I be fine if I list a friend?s house on that form you fill out on the plane as the place I?ll be staying for the first night? Someone ages ago said that it maybe wasn?t wise to put down a home (I don?t know why though).

Sorry if they're stupid questions (please don?t flame me) but until I have my feet on US soil I'm going to be worrying about this.

I'm going to need this holiday to get over the planning of the holiday...
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 03:45 AM

Here's a website that may be of help to you:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/tempvis..._waiver.html#7

You don't mention which country you are traveling from. The above points out that you must be from a country that participates in the VWP (Visa Waiver Program) and that your passport must be "machine readable". Your questions would be better directed to the U.S. Embassy in your country.

There's no reason to be nervous. If you have fulfilled the few requirements and have nothing to hide you will be fine. Good luck!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 03:58 AM

It;s always safer to list a hotel as yur address in the US - this makes it clear that 10 you really are a tourist and 2) you hav ethe money to pay for a hotel. If youlist a friend's home as you address it appears much mire likely that 1) you will be outstaying your vise to look for work illegally and 2) you probably really don;t have the money for the vacation.

(FYI a niece of mine entering the UK in student mode - big backpack, camping stuff, super casuale clothes etc - had all sorts of trouble and had to demonstrate she had access to some significant amount of funds - I think it was $3,000 - but don't remember the details - since it was several years ago.)
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry. I'm coming from Australia.

Do they ever check up on the hotel thing? They couldn't possibly do it for everyone but... I wouldn't want to be one they did check out and found that I lied about it and put down a hotel instead of the house I'm going to be at.
Thanks for the help
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM

I'd be honest and write down the place you'll be staying at that night. IF there was ever an issue (doubt that thre will be) why would you risk having what you wrote down become an issue? Be polite, look the officer in the eye and answer whatever questions are asked (and no more!!!).
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:49 AM

I wouldn't lie and put down a hotel address unless you actually have a reservation. Some relatives of mine from Germany just came for a visit and used my address and it was fine, although I suppose as nytraveler mentioned it could depend on how you look.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Okay thanks.
Will cross my fingers and hope for the best
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 11:51 AM
bluestructure

you'll be fine, we love aussies! Just list the address where you will be staying, if they need to call and confirm that then thats great. Just never lie and be honest. Dont be scared....