Search

VRBO or Agency

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VRBO or Agency

Hi: I am looking into renting an apartment in Florida and am wondering if it is best to rent from owner or through an agency. It looks like the agencies have a 5% charge but I am concerned that renting through the owner only I will have no recourse if the rental is not as advertised. Most owners want a refundable deposit which is fine, but there seems to be no guarantee for the renter. Does anyone have any input on whether it is worth the extra fee to use an agency? I guess my main concern would be that the apartment is clean and as advertised. If there are problems with the rental is it easier to deal with an agency than directly with the owner? Does an agency make sure that the apartment has been cleaned and is in order? If anyone has had experience with renting either from VRBO or agency and the pros and cons I would appreciate the feed back.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM

My experience is that neither is a guaranteed success, nor is there any reason to believe that either is better than the other.

Cleanliness and "as advertised" are basically opinions. If you aren't happy with the full cleaning of a place, you are likely to have as much trouble proving that to an agency as you are to an owner.

If anything my experience has probably been better dealing directly with owners. Those who handle their own properties are often MORE concerned about it than those who turn it over to an agency.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that you necessarily save money by going through an owner. Some owners don't list with agencies because they want the money "all to themselves". If they feel that someone would pay $1500 through an agency for it, then that's probably what they themselves will charge, not say "I can do if for less than that".

When people say there is no "guarantee" for the renter, they have to realize that the owner is taking a far greater risk than the renter. They are entrusting a prized piece of real estate to total strangers for a very small fee. If the renter trashed it, what recourse would the owner have? So it really is a two way street.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM
dmlove

Patrick, I completely agree that a legitimate owner is taking a greater "chance" than a renter by renting to a complete stranger. The problem, it seems to me, is that there must be a fair number of non-legitimate owners posting rentals on craigslist and vrbo. I haven't personally had that experience (and have rented from both vrbo, individuals' own websites, and others), but I imagine it's out there.

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Awesome post, Neo!

I'll be using VRBO next month for the first time. This particular rental (Colorado Springs) had reviews by previous renters, so that was helpful. Perhaps the Floida one does as well?

Neo has a great point in that the owner has more to fear from you, than you from them. I was very comfortable dealing directly with the owner.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:10 PM
dmlove

I should have said "a fair number of non-legitimate NON-owners", meaning people who post rentals they don't actually own.

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Yes, it is well documented that some people have even arrived at a given address to find there is no such apartment there. I think it is the renter's responsibility to communicate a few times with the owner (or agency) and to go further if there is even a shadow of doubt about the authenticity of either the apartment or the owner. Of course, finding reviews of the specific property on another website like Trip Advisor is always a big help.

I've rented a couple dozen apartments both in the States and in Europe and have never had a problem. I was honestly a little worried about one in San Diego that was a new listing and I got some strange signals about, including the owner meeting me at another location to give me the keys rather than at the apartment. I couldn't find any reviews as it was a new building. It ended up she was being very cautious because they aren't really supposed to do short term rentals and we were to pass ourselves off as guests. This is not an unusual situation and one you might also want to check out. In Florida it is not unusual for a condo association to have strict rules about only one or two rentals a year or no rentals of less than three months. As a renter for a week, you can be made to feel very uncomfortable by the other residents.

Meanwhile we had an interesting situation locally when an internet "agency" was renting apartments in a fairly large complex. Renters were all very happy. It ended up the manager of the complex was renting out apartments of absentee owners without them knowing it. His plan was finally discovered when an owner arrived unexpectedly to find people in his unit!
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great feedback. The reason I asked the question was because I read some horror stories on Tripadvisor. I imagine they are the exception and I will research carefully and look forward to a good experience.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM
cd

We have rented numerous times from VRBO with only one bad experience. We have rented a condo in December that I rented VRBO (and have spoken to the owner by phone ) but we will pick up the key from an Agency that handles this gated community. This will be the second time this has happened.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM

There are great private owners and awful ones. There are agents that do a great job - and others that don;t do much.

You really need to do your homework either way - as much checking as possible and asking every question you can think of. And making sure you have a local phone number live 24 hours - either for agent or owner (you don;t want to be dealing with plumbers if there's a problem).

Ideal is if you can charge it - so your credit card gives protection - but many don't offer this.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM

We are going through this ourselves in England. It is very tidious and nerve inducing. The agent we were going to rent from is moving her office and she has no viable address nor land line. She bragged how she's had the same mobile number for 15 years. I just can't do business with someone like that.

Use TripAdvisor. Late last night I found some interesting comments on my own search.

And go with your gut -- it will usually be right.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:34 AM
dmlove

cd, what happened when you had the "bad experience"? Maybe someone can learn from your experience.

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:51 AM

We have rented from vrbo in excess of 50 times & NEVER had a problem. They do have a crew (referred to as the Bear) that does random visits of properties as well. An agency is no better guarantee than renting from an individual in my opinion.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
cd

dmlove
The unit was dirty. The owner was local and if it were not the 4th of July, we would have refused it. However, we knew we would have a very hard time finding something else, so we made do. The first time we've been satisfied.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 01:27 PM
cd

Sorry, first time we've NOT been satisfied.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM

I've used cyberentals.com to rent out my summer cottage and to rent a condo in Florida.
As stated, it's a 2-way street for both parties. I know cyberentals will eliminate a listing if there have been complaints. My guess is that others such as vbro do the same - check their site.

This isn't to say that your completely protected, but if someone's been listing for a few years or so without complaints they may be ok.
You may want to ask to see the rental agreement prior to renting so you'll know what to expect. Also, don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you'd like - basically, it gives both of us a chance to screen each other.

I used to use an agency but I found that I had to raise my rates to cover the additional 15% that they charged me.
Good luck!
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Typing too quickly and not editing;
That is, I have rented a condo for myself in Fla. using cyber.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I have used VRBO for rentals on the Gulf Coast for 5 years and would suggest this for anyone considering it.... Talk or e-mail to any prospective owner of the property often before rental. Find out as much about the property you can and ask for recent photos. We have had only one instant that wasn't 100% but we also know that whenever you rent, you take your chances. I also suggest that you make sure you have any phone numbers necessary in case of an emergency. I now make sure that if the owner does not live in the area that I am renting from, that a reliable agent represents the property on-site. I would not hesitate to use them again. Do your homework.