Volcanoes National Park

Search

Volcanoes National Park

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volcanoes National Park

According to several sources, authorities have targeted September 22 of this year to reopen a lot of the park. Amazing, if they accomplish even part of their list. This will be great for close areas such as Volcano, of course, but the influence will be welcome all over the island as tourism reboots (not just cruise ships returning).
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 06:52 AM

I am anxious to see when they can allow access to the caldera area; early accounts from those who have seen the area are astounding. Mother nature has done significant remodeling of the whole park. We've been following the developments as closely as we can on the NPS website and Hilo paper. According to NPS visitors should expect limited hours, limited visitor services and only some areas in the park will be open for safe visitation. But, Sylvia, you are right that any reopening will be a welcome event.

Do you have any idea how the Holei sea arch came through all this seismic activity? According to one news account a while back, it had developed cracks. Supposedly, Chain of Craters Rd and Devastation Trail will be among the places to re-open first.
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

I read that the crater will be viewable/walkable from the picnic pullout just past the Steam Vents. I too wondered about the arch being able to survive the May earthquake; I suppose a park rep would have the info? (I'm not going into Thurston, if open, until hordes of visitors have gone through unscathed&#128512 It's exciting that we'll be able to see what nature hath wrought so soon, although I still think the date is optimistic.
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 07:34 AM

we were just in Hilo and took a tour including the park - Volcano National Park and waterfalls...we knew it was closed and we were thrilled we didnt miss it on our trip. our tour guide was great and sooooo happy to be back at work! Great tour!
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Webeitz, so glad you were able to visit and had a good time! We're all hopeful that the area soon recovers financially and that displaced people are resettled. As a geologist, and volcano enthusiast, I am very excited about my next visit to the "new" caldera in December!
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 11:27 AM

Update from Hawaii Volcanoes National park has downgraded the threat level at Kilauea.

Volcanic Activity Summary: It has been 30 days since lava has been active at the surface of Kīlauea Volcano. HVO monitoring shows low rates of seismicity, steady, relatively low rates of deformation across the volcano, and only minor gas emission at the summit and East Rift Zone (ERZ). These observations indicate that resumption of eruption or summit collapse is unlikely in the near-term.

Accordingly, HVO is lowering the Volcano Alert Level for ground based hazards from WATCH to ADVISORY. This means volcanic activity has decreased significantly but continues to be closely monitored for renewed activity. The Aviation Color Code is also being lowered from ORANGE to YELLOW.

Hazards are still present in the lower East Rift Zone (LERZ) eruption area and at the Kīlauea summit. Residents and visitors near recently active fissures and lava flows should stay informed, heed Hawaii County Civil Defense warnings, and be prepared, if necessary, to self-evacuate in the unlikely event of renewed activity. Please note that Hawaii County maintains a closure of the entire flow field and the vents and prohibits access to the area unless authorized through Civil Defense.

Visitor traffic is starting to pickup again on the Big Island, which is a relief to everyone who relies on travelers for their livelihood...our condo complex is running around 75% full now as compared to 30% - 40% at the height of the eruption - lots of cancellations. I'm trying to keep an updated park information section on our website with running changes as they are available.

Last edited by TJM_70; Oct 5th, 2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

USGS said that this is the time since 1986 that there has been a spell of 30 days with no eruption on the volcano's surface! Hope all the roads in/out/around the park and environs are in good shape.