Volcano House on Big Island

Sep 9th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Martha

Volcano House on Big Island

I'm thinking of staying at the Volcano House for 1 night with my husband, 17 year old daughter and her girlfriend. Are there any comments on this hotel or a recommendation on
which room to request? Thanks!

Sep 9th, 2001, 07:23 PM
ALF

If you stay, you should get a volcano view room. Its OK - the rooms are small and a bit threadbare. The food is mediocre. It wouldn't be worth the asking price, except for the great view. I think one night is just the right thing to do.

Sep 10th, 2001, 06:41 AM
lani

i agree with alf. the rooms are pretty standard. it's good if you want to do some of the night hikes. if you do stay, bring a flashlight as if you're not in the main building you will be in pitch blackness getting back to your room from dinner. one night is definitely enough.

try the cheesecake with the local berries (can't remember the name) but it's the only place you can eat them.

Sep 10th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Martha

Thanks for the tips. We'll certainly bring that flashlight and try the cheesecake...

Sep 11th, 2001, 04:46 AM
m

We stayed a night at Volcano House before and I agree with the others that a night is enough. An alternative would be to find cheaper housing outside and then drive to the area early in the morning to see the sun come up over the caldera. You can then spend the day driving around the area. Don't forget to wear flat shoes or sneakers as the ground is very uneven. I saw some people who not only did not have flashlights but were wearing heels.

Sep 11th, 2001, 10:51 PM
Mary

We stayed at a great plantation style house in Volcano Village-walking distance to the park- and found it a charming alternative to the overused Volcano House. It is called Hi'iaka House and is available for fairly short term rentals. It was a little haven and I wish we had stayed there longer. Kitchen was stocked with breakfast fixings and coffee cake. Nice veranda, crochet set, tangled garden and tin roof. Built a big fire in the woodstove to cut the evening chill. Available through "Volcano Places," do a web search. Great value and old Hawaiian charm. Very clean, too.

Sep 13th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Celeste

The berries are something like ohelo. They're very good - have them on pancakes or waffles!