Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Visitng Key West during December-Good Idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to go to Key west during the Christmas
Not sure if its a good idea to visit during the winter months. We are wondering the water will be cool and we might not do the water activities. There is no point going to key west without enjoying the water activities.

Can you post your comments please
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Key West in December is wonderful!!! The temperature can vary greatly - some years it can be in the 80s and other years we get a cold front and its in the 50s. The news is telling us that because of La Nina we should expect and warmer and drier winter than we experienced last year.
As a Floridian I do not swim if its cold and I have visited Key West for a few Christmas vacations and snorkeled on all of them.
Book now - its high season and places get booked up.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MiamiBeachMomma . I was skeptical of going to Key West in december but after seeing your reply decide to make the reservations
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM

I really think that all things considered, Thanksgiving is the best tiem of year to visit. Prices start going up, in December.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM

We stayed one week for Christmas one year and it was wonderful. We could sit out in the sun in shorts and tanks. We did fishing trips and touristy things. It was a wonderful change for us! Go!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 06:09 AM

The winter time is the high season in florida, because of the nice weather down here.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:17 AM

I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I'm in Key West now and the past several days have been COLD!!! Today, it's really nice, but this is the first pleasant day since late last week.

We were in Key West once (years ago) for New Year's Eve, and January 1st it was 55 degrees and raining.

As much as I love Key West, I don't think I'd make plans to visit based on weather. There are lots of other fun things to do, but if I were you, I wouldn't count on water activities.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Well there you go, you can't count on the weather. I've been there twice around then, once in December and once in January. It was warm enough to swim in January. I didn't swim in December, but walking around town it was quite hot, so I would expect it to be fine. But as the poster above indicated, "individual experience may vary".