Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Visiting Yellowstone in May 2013 - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all!

I am an adventurous Brit travelling across the US, and hoping to visit Yellowstone in May 2013. I had originally hoped to go with RoadScholar, before I realised that they only let people 55+ on. Unfortunately, I am 33 years too young for this.

I have now booked flights anyway, and will be in Bozeman from May 12th-18th. Yellowstone is a must see for me. I am fairly fit and don't mind the cold weather. I'm just having some trouble figuring out the logistics.

Issues:
Being from the UK, I don't have a vehicle in the US!
I am travelling alone, and therefore would rather not camp alone, although I am open to any camping tours in groups.

I truly hope that someone can help me out!

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 12:21 PM

You will need a vehicle, at lest for accessing the campgrounds--I do not recall bus stops near the campgrounds.

Years ago we were camping in Yellowstone at the Madison River campground. Next to us was a Dutch young man who was camping by himself and had crossed the U.S. by bus. So I guess it is feasible. Camping alone is not a problem in the general campgrounds (getting a campsite might be a problem). However, the Dutch man decided to leave the campground to hike down the Yellowstone Canyon by himself. When he arrived at the large public campground (not a wilderness area) and discovered that only hard-sided campers were allowed because of the bear problem (this may have changed), he came back to our campground and asked if he could pitch his tent on our campsite because the campground was full. I think that he hitchhiked in Yellowstone, which may now be more difficult if not impossible.

One can pick up cheap car camping (not backpacking) equipment in K-Mart, Sports Arena, Target and other similar stores. In the long run it will be cheaper than a motel room and eating out breakfast and dinner (I assume a picnic lunch).
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 12:33 PM

Put Yellowstone tours in the search box and you will find several old threads on the topic.

Of course you would be lucky to have one that fits your time frame and if you are going in May, plan on the possibility of roads in the park closed because of snow. Camping would require cold weather gear in any case.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 03:52 PM

Start by looking at the estimated opening dates of various roads and other facilities. Some things will still be closed at the time of your trip.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...closedates.htm

Next, consider the cost of a bus tour vs. renting a car. And consider the lack of freedom you'll have when on a tour schedule vs. going on your own.

Just for example, a car rental with Thrifty for 5/12 - 5/18 from the Bozeman airport ranges from $233 - $266. I'm sure they would add an additional fee for you being under 25, guessing that's about $25/day which would add $150 to the total which brings it to $383 - $416.

I just googled some tours and it looks like for around $75 you can sit in a van and be driven around sections of Yellowstone. But that is a one-day thing, multiply $75 times 5 days and it's the same price as the above rental car.

http://www.seeyellowstone.com/yellow...mer/van-tours/

How much was the RoadScholar tour going to be? Compare that price to what you'd pay for a car and separate camping. For me, I'd choose to go independently so I had total freedom to do what I wanted when I wanted. The park won't be as busy as summer but there will still be lots of people around. Why is it that you don't want to go camping alone?
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Oh, and spend some time looking at the park's official website. It has a lot of information about everything (weather, lodging, hikes, etc.). The average low in May is 34F which isn't too bad with a proper sleeping bag.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM

I think you stand a far better chance of some of the roads being closed than them being open. I would imagine you could make it to Old Faithful area and the northern most road is likely open. However, to access both of those areas will require a very long drive, outside the park and very out of the way. I would think Canyon area could be closed. I would be very surprised if hayden valley area road was opened. Some of the lodging will be closed and some of the campgrounds will be closed. May 12 is early. You should be able to see some of it though.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fodorers!

Plenty to keep me looking at. I'm amazed by the level of response in such a short amount of time!

I will certainly look into vehicle hire, and get some decent camping gear.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 04:21 AM

There is a Cabela's in Bozeman - which is a huge sporting goods store, and I would start there, but check specials at the other places too. http://tinyurl.com/cgrvt4c

Make sure to get a good sleeping bag (doesn't have to be the best - but one that is good to down to say 20 degrees) - and for a few $ more - get a liner (like an internal blanket - good for another 10 degrees of warmth) and be sure to get a good pad or air mattress - as the cold under you is more severe than what the air temp will be.

A good/small two man tent, and camping grear (including a small stove/burner) should be fairly reasonable - including a storyfoam cooler for your good, beverages, ice - etc.

And be sure to check all the various parks - including local Native American ones - as we slept for free (left a donation when we left) at the Navajo National Monument - just outside of Monument Valley by Kayenta, Arizona.

BTW - my wife and I bought a pre-cooked/BBQ chicken in a super makret in St. George - and that served us for dinner the next night in Bryce Canyon - and also at the Navajo National Monument two nights late. Sometimes - it's easier to just have what's with you (and also tasty) - v. driving into town.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 05:14 AM

I think it would be better if you opt for a tour bus instead of a cab because I think you will enjoy more being with others. Moreover, being alone would also make you visit lesser number of places, you have to travel according to the cab driver ( who may or may not be right). Apart from that it would be much cheaper.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 05:41 AM

If you decide to camp in the Yellowstone area, be sure to heed the warnings about food storage to prevent bears from tearing apart your car, tent, etc.

Hope you have a fantastic trip!
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM

There is a place in Jackson that rents all kinds of outdoor gear: backpacks, sleeping bags, all kinds of camping gear. There might be such a place in Bozeman. Might want to google it.

Good luck & enjoy!
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM

Oh boy, another "Yellowstone driver"!
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM

I am going to Jackson in June. What is the name of the rentals?

I need to fined out if I should get the camping stuff here in Boston or rent there in Jackson?
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 12:11 PM

I would think that all the roads will be open as it's been a really light snow year. Mid May is an active bear time as the weather is still really cool and they have only been out of hibernation for a month or two.

If you don't want to buy all the equipment to camp you might think about staying in a boarder town like west yellowstone and taking hired day trips into the park.