Visiting Savannah and Charleston from Miami

Nov 7th, 2019, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Visiting Savannah and Charleston from Miami

Hello
We are a couple planning a car trip to Savannah from Miami. My wife 69 years old and I 77. We need some advice on hotels and places to visit. Comfortable hotels but not much price because our budget is not unlimited. We would have the idea to visit Charleston also on this trip. I think it can be done but I would like to know the opinion of you who always help in these tourism forums. We would also like to know what the best time of the year is because we would prefer that the weather be as mild as possible.
I am very grateful.
Pamlover
Nov 8th, 2019, 03:56 AM

Spring (April) in these cities is wonderful for the azaleas and dogwoods being in bloom. And the house tours which will send the hotel prices up but add so much to the enjoyment of seeing the history of the cities.
Nov 8th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gretchen
Nov 9th, 2019, 10:31 AM

Agree Spring - May-Sept can be unbearably humid. Tourist area of Savannah near the river has many cobblestones and uneven pavement. Wear really comfortable shoes and if you have mobility problems, keep that in mind. If you are into art, check out what is happening at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) while you are there. Do not under any circumstances go to Savannah around St. Patricks Day because the city turns into a big drunken celebration. If you want to save money on Savannah hotel, look at area called "MidTown" which is not in town or mid to anything and is really a collection of chain restaurants and strip malls. No charm, but safe and inexpensive. The 2 cities together in a trip is a good combination.
Nov 10th, 2019, 02:02 AM

IMO you might want to add a stop in Beaufort, South Carolina.
Nov 10th, 2019, 04:12 AM

Oh - Beaufort! Beautiful town. Some great little restaurants and scenic drive in/out. Well worth a visit.