Visiting NYC w/ 2 gsons for an overnight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone give suggestions for a fairly decent, reasonably price (if there is such a thing in NYC), clean hotel that we could stay at for one night? We would like to take our 2 gsons (13 & 11) to the Big Apple to see the sights. My DH & I have been there b4 but not the gsons. We would take the train from Providence so not sure where we could stay within proximity to everything. We are thinking the week between Christmas & New Years so they could see Rockefeller Ctr., etc. Alternate date would be on their Feb. '12 winter break.

Any tips on itin, etc. most appreciated. I know it would be a whirlwind tour! We do like the ho/ho busses when we travel as we can see so much in a short time frame.

Thanks so much.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 08:26 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The week between Christmas and New Years would be great because everything is decorated for Christmas. For a nice, clean hotel I like the LaQuinta. Nothing fancy, but very nice and clean and convenient to the subway.

There's lot of info on this board so do a bit of reading to get some great ideas. Enjoy your planning!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM

You are looking at two very differnt price ranges. The week between Christmas and New Years is one of the most expensive of the year - and Jan/Feb are low season - with rock bottom prices and a huge nubmer of deals.

If you're not wedded to the holidays you will paymuchless and have many fewer crowds in Feb - althouhg I cannot reco the HoHo bus - which you hav to sit on top of (in freezing cold and possible sleet or snow - to see anythng). Muchbeter to pick you 2 or 3 things you really want to see and just go do it.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM

We stayed at the Salisbury Hotel which is nothing fancy but clean and in a good location. Our room was quite a spacious one bedroom. Is there any chance you could stay longer than one nigh? You would then have a chance to see so much more -- perhaps taking the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, going to a show or a visit to the Natural History Museum.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM

During the Xmas New Years break you will spend a lot of time stuck in traffic on the hoho buses and as NYT said, you'll be cold.

Your grandkids will have more fun on the subway.

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...op-of-the-bus/
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 04:27 AM

The cost of 1 night in a hotel between Xmas & New Year's is likely to be the same as 2-3 nights in Feb. because prices are based on supply and demand. You can't be in proximity to everything but as long as you're near a subway stop you'll be fine. You should have a look at some hotel pricing on the dates you're considering. I think train from Providence is a long way to come for just 1 night, don't you??
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys, just the advice I was looking for! Other than having the boys see the Christmas decos we could plan Feb. instead. They won't care. I wasn't thinking about the ho/ho bus & the weather! LOL We were just on a cruise and doing the ho/ho in Oslo & were on the top deck so we could see. It was so breezy & cool up there, thanks for reminding me!

We have done the 1 day trips from PVD b4 and it's not all that bad, just doesn't allow enough time to see everything. We just wanted the boys to be able to see NYC. I would much prefer a couple of nights so may consider that. Will check those hotels out. Thanks everyone. Happy Turkey Day to all!
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 05:05 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Feb will definitely be less expensive. I like the HOHO bus - even in the winter. I've done the one in NYC, in winter, and it was a blast! (no pun intended) I remember the excitement of a young couple from Jamaica who saw snow for the first time. It was only a few flakes, but it was a great memory for all of us - seeing the joy on their faces. If you are bundled up enough for walking in the city in the winter, you'll be warm enough to sit on top. If you get cold, go downstairs. If you get really cold, get off and go inside somewhere and warm up. It's a great way to get an overview of the city, see the sights - and it's just fun! Some Fodorite locals don't like them in any weather. Different strokes for different folks. The subway is fun and if you need to cover a lot of ground in a short time, it's a great option. But most people want to SEE the city - and from the HOHO bus you can do that. In traffic, you can look around at all the stuff around you. If you don't have to be anywhere at a certain time, what difference does it matter than you are in traffic? In any case, dress warmly.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 05:22 AM

As everyone knows I hate the HOHO buses for Manhattan because of the traffic issues and the lack of reliable bus schedules. But I realize a lot of people like them. Please just don't do the HOHO bus during the Christmas season. The city is gridlocked and you'll spend many extra hours stuck in traffic not seeing much. If you really want to do the HOHO bus, come in February unless it coincides with a major snowfall.

I still think the best solution is to come and not try to see everything but instead pick two or three things that will really delight the kids. Go to Top of the Rock for the view, which is in my opinion better than any HOHO bus tour. And then see a couple of other things that will interest the kids. You can probably fit in one or two more activities on the day or departure before your train. But I do agree that if you were to postpone the trip to February, you could probably spend 2 nights for the same price as 1 night during the Christmas season and have a bigger and more comfortable hotel room as well.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Doug and Starrs, great advice, thanks so much! I am now thinking Feb. instead of Dec. It makes more sense to me because the week after Christmas those 2 gsons are not going to want to go anywhere but stay home and play w/ their new gifts. So I'll research Feb. and see what I can find about 2 nite hotel stays.

Ho/ho bus, we'd be adventuresome just for the gkids, they'd love sitting on the top! We love taking them when we go to Europe as you can see so much up on top.

All we have to do is hope we don't get any snow! Ha, ha, fat chance in New England.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

ONe more question, please. Where are Salisbury & LaQuinta hotels located? What location should I be looking at for hotels? Sorry, 2 questions!
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 03:55 AM

If you ever want to take your grandkids, look into Intergenerational programs at road scholar.org -- I led one last summer and everyone had a ball. I'm thinking of "borrowing" my grand nieces and nephews and doing one myself someday.
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 04:14 AM

If you and your children are very flexible, you can try the youth hostel in Amsterdam Ave (I think 102 st). I have been there (not in the rooms though) and I heard that it is very decent and not in an unsafe area. You can call and find out what kind of rooms there are. maybe even just one room for all of you. I know that adults members of the Sierra Club always stay there and I never heard a complaint. maybe they give you also clean sheets. Also I think that it is close to public transportation
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 07:00 AM

The Salisbury is on west 57th st. in Manhattan. I think the La Quinta is around 34 st. As for what location to look for, as long as you're near a subway station, you're fine. I think the upper west side is a good location. Look at the Beaconhotel.com if you're thinking about Feb. Booking.com has had good prices for it recently.