Visiting New Orleans in June

Old Mar 12th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting New Orleans in June

How is it like visiting New Orleans in June? I want to plan a non-refunadble trip because they are so cheap, but have heard it's hurricane season in June. Is the weather decent or unbearibly hot? Is there anything unique to do or see when going during this time? Anything I won't be able to do like boat tours?

Also, I am planning on going mid-week, but am young and would still like to experience the night life. Is there night life midweek during June?

Thanks so much.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 11:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't been there since before Katrina. Katrina happened the last week of August in 2005. I think think the danger of a hurricane increases as the summer wears on. Early to mid June should be safe.
There is some type of nightlife going on in the French Quarter pretty much all year. Whether it is the type you are looking for is debatable.
How are you planning on getting to the city? My favorites are the 3 different Amtrak trains that serve the city. The Sunset Limited from LA and San Antonio, the City of New Orleans from Chicago and Memphis and the Crescent from Washington DC and Atlanta.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 12:26 PM

tom is right, hurricane season is later. A major attraction of New Orleans is the nightlife. Go on a stroll in the morning, have a good lunch and take a nap in the afternoon. Enjoy some nightlife on Bourbon Street, listen to Jazz music in Preservation Hall and soak up the balmy night in New Orleans.

In any case, rent a car for a day and drive up the Mississippi and make a plantation tour. The plantations are awesome. Oak Alley is one of the best.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I plan on staying in the French Quarter and walking around a lot. I'll definently be renting a car one day to do plantation tours as I keep hearing that's a must (I'll make sure to look into Oak Alley now).
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 01:08 PM

Hurricane season starts June 1, but early season hurricanes are fairly uncommon. If they do occur they are typically not strong storms. It's fairly safe to say you won't have to worry about a hurricane ruining your vacation.

It will be hot and humid though, the average high is about 90 and it only gets down to about 70 at night. If you're used to that its ok, if not you will want to do your walking around in the mornings.

Bourbon Street is busy in the evenings but don't expect big crowds in the middle of the week, especially in summer.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 01:49 PM

The notion that it is legitimately "hurricane season" on June 1 is ludicrous. Yes, this is the technical start time per the NOAA, but in reality, the actual 'canes do not boil up until late August. I've lived in Texas for nearly 20 years, I cannot remember a single tropical storm that has touched down on the coast before August.

That said, the Gulf Coast gets far fewer hurricanes than the Eastern Caribbean and Atlantic Coast.

New Orleans is hot, but less so than central Texas, north Texas or the infernal hot plates of Eastern California and Arizona. It's humid too - think Houston.

Don't take the train, fly and leave more time in the actual town - you're coming to New Orleans for New Orleans, you're not coming to New Orleans for the RIDE to New Orleans.

And if you like it, think on coming for a long weekend when NOLA runs the Voodoo Festival over Halloween weekend. The festival is usually decent or better and the locals continually celebrating Halloween are even better.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 02:19 PM

"I've lived in Texas for nearly 20 years, I cannot remember a single tropical storm that has touched down on the coast before August.

Danny, Dennis, Claudette, Dolly....all hurricanes that made landfall in the Gulf before August in the last 20 years. Claudette (2003) and Dolly (2008) made landfall in Texas so I'm surprised you don't remember them.

Nevertheless, as everyone (including myself) has stated , even though hurricane season technically starts June 1 it is highly unlikely there will be a storm that impacts the OP's trip. The heat and humidity will be the biggest issue impacting her time in New Orleans.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Heat and humidity, yes.

A night that goes down to 70 in late June would bring out the sweaters. Think 80 at 6AM, 90 by 1, thunderclouds and humidity building all afternoon, then heavy downpours followed by a pleasant evening.

Imagine what it was like before AC.

Still, it is better to go to NO than not to go.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 06:47 AM

Dh and I have visited New Orleans several time mid-July for our anniversary and I think summer is a great time to go. There is always plenty of nightlife but you avoid the really big crowds. Sure, it's hot, but there is always an air conditioned shop or dacquri vendor nearby! Plus you can get great deals on hotels (we like the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon). Personally I would not book a non-refundable trip without travel insurance, but that is up to you.

We are going this spring during high season with our kids for spring break and I would prefer summer, but vacation planning is tricky when you have kids and only so much time to fit in so many trips. I think New Orleans in the summer is fabulous.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 08:11 AM

It is really a matter of your tolerance for extreme heat and humidity. If you are willing to put up with it, it's a great time to be there. If you aren't, it isn't. I love the city but I will never go in summer (or maybe even spring) months again. Once was enough. I'll stick to fall or winter. The added problem for me is that the AC, which is ubiquitous indoors is savagely cold most places. I don't like the extremes on either end.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. This is all very helpful.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Bring a hat. The sun is brutal. i was there 2 years ago in April and had to buy one.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 09:59 AM

For nite life, I suggest Frenchmen Street (right outside the French Quarter) rather than Bourbon Street which is, in my experience, a raucous, drunken mess any nite of the week close to Canal Street.

Preservation Hall is a must, but get there early. Open every nite.

Tipitina's Uptown (Napoleon Street) sometimes has Thursday nite shows.

No reason I know of that the steamboat won't be running.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 01:23 PM

Not suggesting skipping it (only you know your tolerance for heat) but the two hottest places/times I've ever been in my entire life (which is not that short LOL) are Luxor, Egypt in August, and New Orleans in July. It's hot. And humid.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 06:34 PM

Aside from a wide brim hat, bring a hand-held fan. And wet wipes for your purse, when you need to wipe off perspiration. And just forget about what your hair looks like, because it will be a frizzy sweaty mess. If long, bring ponytail things. As for bad hair, everyone else will have it too, so who cares. Be sure hotel has good AC to escape to and for sleeping. Some of the guesthouse type places do not have great AC.

There are some great indoor places if heat/humidity becomes unbearable. Like the great WWII museum, Mardi Gras World, Riverplace shopping, etc.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 06:49 PM

I second sf7307 and charlotteK. I went once in July and found the heat and humidity unbearble. On tour, I could not wait to jump back into the air conditioned bus. And I'm from Hawaii! New Orleans is a colorful, fun city with great food. If you can tolerate the humidity in particular, then have at it.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 07:08 PM

For me, unbearably hot and humid. Rains most afternoons.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 06:03 AM

My family has hit NOLA the last two July months on way to our destinations. It is hot however there are things to do. With the amount of places to eat you could try a lunch place followed by a stroll to have dessert at another place. A plantation visit (recommend Oak Alley) would give you time out of the heat to and from. The WW2 musuem also gets you out of the heat as well. While not the perfect time hotels are usually at a lower cost which helped us plan other things later in our trips. I also recommend two resturants that are not usually given out. The Gumbo Shop near Jackson Square and Delines for some good BBQ shrimp. Also prefer Felix over Acme house for oysters which are right near each other.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 06:16 AM

Sorry in above it is Deanie's for the BBQ shrimp
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 10:45 AM

We like Gumbo Shop too. Good food at a reasonable price.

Another place to consider for oysters is Drago's in the Hilton Riverside near the Aquarium. Charbroiled oysters yum. It's a branch of the Metairie location. Since we learned about it from a NOLA native who had been blown to Atlanta by Katrina, we never go to NOLA without a dozen or more. Often more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -