Visiting from UK - Help

Search

Visiting from UK - Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Ann Riley

Visiting from UK - Help

Hello everyone,
My Husband & I will be visiting the US in September 2002. spending 3 nights in the town of Paradise Nr. Lancaster, Pennsylvania tjhen onwards thru Virginia via skyline drive stopping in Charllotesville/ Williamsburg/ Fredricksberg back home to Philli airport. Any advice on motels as B&B too expensive. Thanks

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:05 AM
George

Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and study how to get the most out of Priceline. Go to their VA board, and get a sense of what lodging is available in your areas of interest. It takes a little bit of work. But the savings can be quite large.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:09 AM
travellyn

I stayed in Lancaster on an Amish farm, and didn't have to pay too much for B&B. The location was convenient and the hosts were good people. Jacob and Sadie Zook (717) 768-3774. They give you a progressivley higher discount for every day you stay there.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Rosemary

Try the Best Western chain. They are ordinary, but fairly reliably clean and not too expensive. Go for those that are rated *** (not **) to be on the safe side. It's easy to book on their website bestwestern.com - you also get info. on the hotels/amenities/area etc.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:38 PM
David Martin

When my sons were going to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg I always stayed at the very reasonable Econo Lodge near there and was always quite satisfied. With a google search you will find that there are a number of Econo Lodges along your itinerary. Don't sweat finding a place to stay. Your route is heavily moteled, and it's not all that busy a time of year.

For the ample U.S. equivalent of a "full English breakfast," but for lunch or dinner, try eating at the Country Cooking in Fredericksburg. The food is authentic home-style rural southern. The unlimited vegetable bar is more than adequate; I almost never order an entree, and it's dirt cheap. Country Cooking is a chain found only in Virginia. It's definitely not where the "beautiful people" go. Customers tend to be ancient, fat, and rustic in appearance. The local college kids call them "Frednecks." Country Cooking is on Rt. 1 right across from the entrance to Mary Washington College.