Visiting Early September? Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am visiting CA in early September, 4 days in LA (w/22 yr old daughter & 75 yr old mother) and 4 days in San Diego (w/Mom).

We used to live there (Claremont Mesa, I think) and Mom wants to go back.

I was looking at a million hotels and am begging for feedback on a couple of them. I want it to be nice for her but I'm pretty middle class

In San Diego I was looking at Humphrey's Half Moon Suites (I will be renting a car). Does anyone know anything about this hotel?

In LA, I was thinking either Grafton on Sunset, or Sunset Plaza (I think) or Le Parc Suites. Or any better suggestions? Pictures are great but advertising CAN be misleading.

Also, as I am renting a car at least half of San Diego trip and all of LA, how bad would it be to drive from LA to San Diego? I'm not afraid of the freeway (have driven in DC and Chicago) but people are telling me it's awful, even though most of them haven't driven it? Is it about 2 hours? Or am I nuts?

ANY suggestions would be great. No to zoo; mom not interested.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM

I'll comment on the LA-SD drive. It all depends on when you are going. Avoid the typical rush hours (M-F 6AM-9AM and 3PM-8PM). From West Hollywood, a typical drive down to SD (best route would probably be US-101 toward LA, then take I-5 south all the way; alternate would be Sunset Blvd. to I-405 south, then follow to I-5 south all the way) starting at noon would get you in SD by 2:30. Maybe sooner, maybe later. I once made the mistake of leaving my Santa Monica office 5PM on a Friday to meet friends in San Diego's Little Italy; I got into SD at a little before 9PM.

It's not a horrible drive, but a little patience is required.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Humphrey's is a nice hotel but it is a bit far from the actionof downtown SD. Also, they do have summer concerts there which might be a bit loud for your Mom.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alisa. My mom "loves" music, especially Vince Gill. She's getting more fun the older she gets

Sometimes she's more feisty than I am, no lie.

Anyway, we'll have a car in San Diego anyway.

I think what I'm looking for is a reasonable but cool/nice place in LA. I understand from someone here (Wisconsin) that West Hollywood is an okay area.

Does anyone know about Le Parc Suites? Or have a better suggestion?

.....anxiously awaiting any and all posts.........Thanks a lot.