48hrs - LA to San Diego - where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! Never been to CA and will have a 48hr break during a business trip (with hubby) in November. Flying in to LAX and planned to stay one night in San Diego, the other at LA. Want to see Pacific Coast Hwy, but what are the things we just can't miss? Seems like there are so many things and I am getting overwhelmed.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Altho its certainly possible to drive round trip LA/San Diego for 48 hrs, I have to ask WHY? It will be freeway much of the way and you really won't have much time to stop and see anything. I don't know if taking Amtrack would be any more interesting. But for towns, Laguna, San Juan Capistrano, La Jolla would be places to visit/see.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Altho we spend a lot of time in LA, I do not consider myself a CA expert, so I hesitated to respond. However, seeing the above, I have to say that I too wondered about your plan. IMO, in such a short time, basing yourselves in LA seems a more effective use of your limited time. The drive from Santa Monica up the PCH to Malibu would offer you a lot of what you want to see when you talk about wanting to see the PCH. Also a foray to one of the beach towns, Manhattan, Hermosa--a 30 or 45 minute drive from LA would give you the feel of getting away from an urban atmosphere into a quintessentially CA beachy feel. It may not be very warm, but you can (almost) certainly count on sun for at least the middle part of your days in LA. There is a lot you can see w/o so *much* time spent in just traffic. Have fun whatever you decide.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Besides driving the PCH, what else to you want to do in San Diego?

If you only want to drive along the coast, go north to Malibu and along the coast to Santa Barbara. It's a lovely drive.

I'm afraid that the drive to San Diego is really not that scenic and taking the PCH would be a headache since it goes through a very populated area. Think, lots and lots of cars, stoplights and people.

W
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM

sorry, same thing that socialworker said, somehow the post button didn't take it before I walked the dog.