Search

Visiting Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 10:41 AM
Ann Adamski

Visiting Chicago

I will visiting Chicago for the weekend in September and I would like to get recomendations for "Must See" since I will only be there for two days. Also, restaurant recomendations are appreciated.
THX

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 10:50 AM
Robin

Hi Anna-- I've been researching Chicago as well for a similar short trip. If you do a search on this forum there are lots of recommendations, both for restaurants and other activities.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 10:54 AM
Gary

Ann:

I've been saving some past threads for an upcoming Chicago trip. I got some great advice from the responses.

The titles were:

Chicago--Old and Luxurious Hotel and other Things
Quirky and Fun in Chicago
Chicago - four days in august

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:30 PM
TOM WARD

DON'T MISS THE NEO-FUTURIST THEATRE AT ASHLAND AND FOSTER. "TOO MUCH LIGHT MAKES THE BABY GO BLIND". 30 PLAYS IN 60 MINUTES. A ONE OF A KIND CHICAGO EXPERIENCE. STARTS AT 10:30 PM

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 03:00 PM
also

Art Institute, Field Museum ( I think that's the name of the science museum, right?) Wrigley Field, fountains, Sears Tower, pizzerias and blues/jazz clubs. We loved Chicago, great city.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:57 PM
Al

The science museum is the science & industry, the field museum is also known as the field museum of natural history + in the same area as the field museum is the shedd aquarium & adler planetarium. Another place to visit is navy pier which is at the lake & Grand ave. Places to eat I would not know because we do not eat downtown.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 07:54 AM
tweedy

Oh you will have such a good time in Chicago, it is such a great city, and very walkable.

There are so many good restaurants and like New York new ones are opening all the time.

I would suggest getting a Zaggat's for the most updated list of restaurants downtown.

But for fun, there are Ditka's and Ed Debevicks, over on Ontario St. Also if you like ribs a must is Carson's which is in the same area.

The Ambassador East has a wonderful restaurant and that is also on what is called the "Gold Coast".

There is also lots of shopping on Michigan Ave from the Marriott at Ontario to the Lake, and it includes the Hancock Center, which is a high rise mall. Great Ice Cream shop there.

The Museum of Science and Industry is great for kids, there is a coal mine that you can tour oh and my personal favorite is the "doll house" with gold and gem encrusted furniture.

Also the Art Institute, also on Michigan Ave is worth a trip. Close by are gardens and fountains very close to the lake.

Have a fun weekend.

tweedy

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 12:18 PM
LeighR

Chicago is such a fun city! Giordano's is a GREAT place for pizza--it's 2-3 blocks west of Michigan Ave., on the same street as Saks Fifth Ave. (which is on the corner of Michigan). Ed Debevicks is a fun place to eat if you can get into the spirit of things. And don't miss the Art Institute!

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 08:48 PM
Kay

In Chicago in June-
Recommend that you take the "tour" on the Chicago Trolley ( it has a web site).We got on at the Navy Pier but you can catch it at several locations. The people that run it give a good overall summary of the city and will answer questions.Then you can decide what sights you want to see the most.
The Art Institute is a MUST.
Have fun.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 09:05 AM
DEbbie

Be sure to go up in the Sears Tower(for an unbelievable view and still considered the tallest building in the world),Shedd Aquarium(North America's largest aquarium and even if you are not thinking you like fish and marine mammals-you will change your mind for the view,the oceanarium within and the surroundings),take a boat ride on the Chicago River to view the city at a different perspective(you used to be able to catch it at the Wrigley Building/Tribune Tower area)Buckingham Fountain lit up at night on the lake,shoppping both at Water Tower area and down on State Street at Marshall Fields,etc.Pizza,ribs,steak,etc. all worth having as we are known for them! Every weekend there is something going on-check the tourist office. Last weekend was the triathalon and this weekend is the "Tall Ships" for four days. I think that you will pleasantly surprised how clean and friendly the city is for such a large urban area(8 million people!)Have a great time in a great city! Debbie

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 09:11 PM
anna

Aren't the World Trade Center in NY and some tower in Malaysia taller than the Sears Tower? Not that the Sears Tower isn't a cool building and very tall, but it's just not the tallest anymore.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 10:52 AM
Jim Lloyd

I was just at the Sears Tower about three weeks and they had on a picture of all the tall buildings in the world. And the Sears Tower was taller than the World Trade Center, in fact it currently is the tallest in the whole world! I beleive I heard that in some place though there was going to be a even taller building built than the Sears Tower. Although I am not sure were it was going to be built exactly.

The Sears Tower Skydeck was very interesting to view, and being 103 stories in the air you can see on a clear day three states. Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana as well as being able to get a spectacular view of the city!

Hope you have a great trip!

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 12:34 AM
architectural pedant

Sorry to invade Ann's thread just for the sake of architectural correctness, but the info. at the Sears is out of date ...or in denial.

The Petronas Towers (twin towers) in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia beats the Sears both on building height and height + radio mast. From memory the architect was Cesar Pelli.

There are lots of proposals worldwide for taller schemes -- I think one of the current scheme for a Sears-beater in Chicago is on Skidmore Owings & Merrill's website www.som.com.