Search

Visiting Boston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Boston

I am driving to the east coastr from Ohio and would like to visit Boston but do not want to drive into the city...where should I stay that I can take a train/sub into Boston. I just want to stay for day in the city.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM

It is not a daunting task to "drive into the city" as many suppose. Take the mass pike and exit at the Prudential. You will see infront of you several hotels. Just park and have them valet park your car. Then when you leave ask them how to get back on the Mass Pike.
It is not near as difficult as it would appear. What is the "worst cast scenario"? You get lost and have to drive "around the block".
The hotels also give good driving directions to get to them.
You would save hours in transit time between the outlying hotels near T or Commuter rail stops.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I agree it is not a big deal to drive into the city. But, how long will you be staying? Once there, you should not need your car. But if you bring the car into the city, you will need to pay for parking, which could be upwards to $30 a day at some hotels.

If it is just for a day, I think driving in as John T. describes would be fine and would save time. Once off the Prudential exit, there are several parking garages convenient to the T.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM

If you really don't want to drive into the city, you can exit the Mass Pike at 128, and follow the signs for the Riverside Station of the T. Last time I checked, parking was $4, and there is an overnight section available. The Green line will take you into the city, but the ride is kind of long (about 30-40 min.), and I think the fare is at least $4.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:58 AM

While it's not as terrible to drive in Boston as some would make you think, it does cost $$ (and time!) to park the car, and hotel costs will be higher.

ohio123, have you determined what you will be doing before and after your visit to Boston?

For example, if you will be coming up from Rhode Island or eastern Connecticut, you could stay to the south of Boston in Braintree or even Quincy, both of which have easy public transit into the city. If you're coming from western CT or MA, you'd approach Boston from the west, in which case staying in Wellesley or Newton (where the previously mentioned Riverside T terminal is) would be preferable.

You also could make this decision based on where you'll be headed to next...
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 11:02 AM

I spent my time north, in Danvers and Gloucester. I drove to Wonderland subway, parked for $4?? I believe?? And took the subway in for $2pp. Extremely convenient and best for my needs of not driving in Boston.