Visiting a Resort You're Not Staying at - Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I will call the hotel directly to see what is/is not possible, but I was hoping to get some advice before I ask the hotel stupid questions.

We're (me + parents) staying at a condo in Waikoloa, and my mom and I are going to have a girl's day while my Dad meets up with an old college friend. I was thinking of having breakfast, then heading to Hapuna Beach for some beach time. I know the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel is essentially on the beach. I know beaches are public, so it's okay for me to be on the beach... But generally what other hotel amenities might we enjoy while we're there (even for a fee?).

Thoughts - have breakfast, hang on the beach, eat lunch, then get a massage in the spa at the hotel. Does purchasing spa treatments generally allow access to any other hotel amenities (such as the pool?)?

Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM

You would need to contact the hotel directly to find out this information.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:50 AM

You could also rent the cheapest room possible for one day, which would allow you to have access to all the amenities.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM

My experience is that the resorts are quite relaxed about visiting without staying at the hotel.

We often have lunch, dinner, or a drink, and enjoy the entertainment: hula and music.

While we're at the beach, we don't usually sit on the hotel's lounges, and you would have to have a room number to request a towel, for example.

So, breakfast, massage and hanging out should be fine. As for using the pool, I don't know, but I can imagine that it would be possible with some spa package. Tourism has been down on the Big Island, and the people at the resorts are generally quite friendly to locals coming to enjoy other amenities.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM

We've done exactly what you are suggesting. Stayed at a Waikoloa condo and gone to a resort for a meal. No problem whatsoever.

Last year the Hilton and the Fairmont both charged for parking (but a receipt for a meal eliminates the charge....though this should be checked for this year).

Never tried to use the spa so you'd have to ask about that. Pools are for guests only. Hilton has a day pass for the pool, available when occupancy is down. I've heard two prices, one is $80 for two people and the other is $50 per person.

If you are interested in a lovely breakfast buffet you could drive to the Four Seasons and eat at Pahu I'a. We've been given ocean front tables and were not staying at the hotel.

I'm certain you and your mother will have an enjoyable girls day.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the tips. As I mentioned, I knew I would have to call the resort to get the actual information, but I appreciate the extra advice that I was hoping to get.

It's especially handy to know that I should save meal receipts *just in case* that results in free parking. We're having Thanksgiving dinner at the Fairmont, so that's a handy tip!

I did call and confirmed that the pool is for guests only. But with spa treatments I'll have access to the spa (extra for the fitness center) which is great. Otherwise we'll hang out on the beach and enjoy a nice lunch.

I also did look into renting a cheap room just for kicks (interesting suggestion!!)...it was a little more than what I was willing to spend. I'd rather have more $$ for spa treatments. ;-)

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM

I think I've done everything at a resort except lounge in their pool or beach chairs.

I've eaten at the restaurants, lounged on the beach in front of the resort, had spa treatments at the hotel spa (this usually includes a day pass to the workout room too)had drinks poolside at the area set aside for that (as opposed to the lounge chairs). Never had any problem. Have a great time.