Notices

Virginia college tour in August

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:08 AM
rus

Virginia college tour in August

We are trying to take 2 teens on a tour of U VA , Washington and Lee , William and Mary , and University of Richmond during one week in August. Anyone done the same ? I need suggestions for accomadations close to campuses, and suggested routes. Thanks. We apreciate any input .

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 08:21 AM
michele

I live outside of Richmond and visit the towns and colleges you mentioned. All are very nice with good reputations.I'd say they are within about 2 hours of each other. Each town would be worth visiting also I think.
I have stayed in the Hampton Inn and Suites at the University on W. Main Street in Charlottesville and found it very nice. One of the newest hotels there. It is just down the street from UVA and we walked up to tour the college while we were visiting the town so it is very convenient.
We also just visited Lexington and walked around the campuses of W&L and VMI(which is right next to W&L. I would suggest touring the chapel with the Stonewall Jackson Museum on campus while there. It is quite interesting.) We stayed at the Hampton Inn there also which is very nice. The breakfast area and some suites are housed in a Historic Landmark Home which they bought and renovated. Fodors suggests it in the Hotel rants and raves section. Lexington is a very quaint and interesting little town.
Williamsburg is a great town. I've stayed at Kingsmill Resort which is very pretty if you want all the amenities and also at the Williamsburg Hampton Inn and Suites on Richmond Road which is just out of town and much more economical. The Historical Section is quite interesting. Great taverns to eat in. We usually eat at The Trellis though. Very good food right in the middle of the Historic area. There are lots of outlets and a pottery for shopping, also Busch Gardens and Water Country are there if you get tired of just Campus Tours and want a little amusement park fun.
I live closest to U of R and that is the one I can probably can tell you the least about as far as where I would stay since I haven't stayed in a hotel here. Could stay at new Holiday Express or Hampton Inn over in the Inns Brook section of town. Of course The Jefferson is our Historic 5 star hotel but it is downtown(and unless you get a suite I'm not so sure what the standard rooms are like; they used to be quite small) The Capitol and Grounds, Monument Av.,the White House of the Confederacy, The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and Maymont Park with the Dooley Mansion are some interesting places to visit while here.
Don't know if any of this helps but if you have any questions you can email me. Have fun. They are all very pretty campuses and great schools.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 09:23 AM
rus

Thanks so much , Michele.....are any of the places named for Richmond in the area of the city of the Universoty? Is Innsbrook the area of Richmond where the U is ? Also , is their much crime in Richmond ? Thanks

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 05:00 PM
eileen

We visited UVA and W&M last summer, and our daughter will enter W&M in just 3 short weeks! In Charlottesville, we stayed at the Doubletree Hotel (about $90/night AAA)- very nice rooms and pool, great staff, decent restaurant. The hotel was a bit difficult to find - on a main drag behind a shopping plaza, probably 12-15 minutes from campus.

We traveled to UVA first from NY (down 81), then took 64 through the mountains to Williamsburg - what a gorgeous drive! We'd been to Williamsburg before on a family vacation, when we stayed at the Williamsburg Lodge for about $200/night. Very large rooms, lovely decor, a well-run resort though the restaurant service was slow. On the college trip, we stayed at the new Hilton Garden Inn (on Route 60, I think; about $100/night AAA; less than 10 minutes from campus.) The rooms were in very good shape since the facility was new; however, we thought we could do better for the price and wouldn't stay there again (staff didn't seem on top of anything - maybe they just needed more time/training). We'll be staying at the Embassy Suites when we travel down in August.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Susan

If I were you I would stay at The Hospitality House on Richmond Rd. in Williamsburg. It is right across the street from The College and it is lovely. The rooms are very large. It is also around the corner from the Delis a big student hangout. Our favorite is Paul's. Very casual, great sandwiches. U of R is in one of the nicest sections of the city but not very close to any hotels. You'll probably have to stay in a hotel on Broad St. My rule is that the closer you get to downtown on Broad the less safe it is. Innsbrook is way out on Broad near the 295 and 64 interchange. Nice but you'll have a little bit of a drive to get to U of R. I stayed at the Days Inn on Broad and felt it was a little to "far in" on Broad for my comfort.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Boots

I live in the outskirts of Richmond also (west end). The University of Richmond is in a very nice, extremely safe residential area of town. I went to grad school there for 3 years and also my children (teens) have taken night classes there. I would recommend staying at the Embassy Suites near the intersection of West Broad Street and Glenside Drive. It is a great hotel and about 5 minutes from the campus. Parts of downtown Richmond and certain areas of the "Fan" area of Richmond are not safe to walk alone at nighttime, but those are a minimum of 15 minutes away by car and most students don't go there often except for nightspots and then they go in groups.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Boots

P.S. You didn't ask for an opinion of the schools themselves but..... I went to UVA for undergraduate school and it's excellent academically, but for me it was too big. Some of my classes had hundreds of students. I'd walk around campus sometimes and not see anyone I knew. I wish I'd gone to a smaller school like William & Mary, James Madison or U. or Richmond. I went to law school at U. of Richmond. It seemed like a nice smaller school, not as well-known academically, but classes are smaller and the faculty seems more involved. Just a thought....

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:39 AM
michele

See you've gotten lots of good advice. Yes, downtown Richmond has changed over the years and I very seldom go down there anymore which is a shame. But the area where U of R is located is quite nice. As stated before there are not many hotels near it. You could cross the river and stay in Chesterfield Co. which is where I live. There is a Days Inn at Chesterfield Mall on Huguenot Rd and a Hampton Inn on Research Rd which are fairly new. It would take you about 15 minutes to get to U of R from here. Good luck and I hope you and the teens enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:07 AM
Grad

Try Roanoke College in Salem, VA. Excellent, small, liberal arts college where you won't get lost in the crowd.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:25 PM
Beth Y

As a native of Richmond and a UR and WM graduate, I must put my two cents in. You have gotten good recommendations about Williamsburg, so I won't add anything there. On Richmond, I must say that although Richmond did get some bad press about crime lately, I have never found it to be that bad and my family lives downtown. Like most larger cities, if you wander into some of the seedier areas, you chances of running into "criminals" are higher, but if you stay in the more residential and commercial areas, you will not be more at risk than any other city. We are in the Fan and walk at night to dinner all the time. As others have said, where Richmond's campus is located is in the near westend and in one of the "oldest and best neighborhoods" in the city" and the campus is gorgeous as you will see. My father was a professor there and I grew up on campus. It is also a great school for all the reasons Boots mentioned....small classes, great faculty. The school is incredibly well endowed and can offer its students more ammenties than many other larger schools. It certainly served me well.
Regarding hotels near the school, it is not near Innsbruck. Innsbruck is way out Broad Street. The closest hotels I can think is the one on Parham Road, not far from Regency Mall. Not the nicest area though, so I would take previous suggestions and stay at the Jefferson downtown. If you have a daughter, you will get to show her the alleged "Gone with the Wind" steps which, if she goes to Westhampton (the undergraduate women's college at UR) she will get to walk down on her Dad's arm as her name is announced at the Junior Ring Dance. Sounds silly, but I will always remember it. Of course, I am assuming that the College still does ring dance and it has not fallen by the feminist wayside, like many other things. If you have girls, Westhampton gives them a chance to do some of those silly girly things, which make great college memories, while still going to class, competing academically, and just generally hanging out with guys that you will not get at a all-girls school. Okay, I will shut up now.