Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Virginia Beach - Few Questions - feedback appreciated.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:41 PM
Lucy

Hello.

We're going to Virginia Beach this weekend (Leaving April 6th returning April 13th).

We're staying at the Clarion Resort Conference Center (our timeshare company gave this as an option and we took it because we're getting a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen, etc).
http://emporium.turnpike.net/~ntravel/vabeach/clarion.htm

Questions-

1- There will be 4 adults and two children, ages 1 and 2 1/2. Two of the adults are pregnant and one is older (grandparent). Is it worth it for us to go to Busch Gardens for one entire day or will we spend most of the time waiting for the only adult who can go on rides to get off each ride? What types of attractions do they have besides rides? Not sure cuz we've never been there. Also, do they have some type of discount at all -- this is early season, isn't it? I'm actually hoping Busch Gardens is open!

2- Being that we have 2 small children, we're limited as to what we can do. What would you suggest that is kid-friendly and doesn't cost an arm and leg incase we only end up staying an hour?

3- Any feedback on the Clarion? Is it in a good part of the "Beach".... I've read other postings on the north and south end of the beach.. just wanted to know if it was safe for daily walks with the kids and maybe evening walks too (I'm 7 months pregnant and want to continue my walks)..

Thanks so much.

Lucy

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:45 PM
Lucy

What we like to do (I know I didn't specify).. anything that involves learning, interaction, children and fun. If it were only adults, I'd say hiking and biking trails, but since we have children, we have to stick to about one or two "sites" per day (maybe take a day off to relax here and there).. and maybe go see Colonial Williamsburg again.. (I have been there once). Thanks so much.

Lucy

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:40 PM
Samantha

Lucy,

I live in the VA Beach area and am hoping for your sake it gets warmer next week than it's going to be for the rest of this week and weekend (highs only in the 50's, nights in the 30's). Brrrrr!

I'm not positive, but I kind of doubt that Busch Gardens will be open. I never can remember exactly when it does, but I'm thinking later in April and then only on weekends. Check out their website:

http://www.buschgardens.com

For day excursions, even though the kids are little, I think they (and the adults) would enjoy the Virginia Marine Science museum. My husband and I enjoyed it. I'm sure the kids would be fascinated with all of the fish, etc. There's also an IMAX theater there, but I don't know what the highlighted film is at this time. The website:

http://www.vmsm.com

Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorkotwn, the Virginia Air and Space museum (in Hampton), and Nauticus (downtown Norfolk) are all enjoyable.

The website for us "locals" is:

http://www.gohamptonroads.com
http://www.virginiabeach.com

Enjoy your vacation, but don't overdo it. I admire you for being so adventerous, being 7 months pregnant! ;-)

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:46 PM
Samantha

One more quick comment - actually, that I *can't* comment about the Clarion, since by living here I never had need to stay at any of the beach hotels. ;-) I don't even know exactly where it's at on the beach.Maybe someone who has can give you specific feedback. I'd say overall though, you all would be safe walking in the daytime or early evening.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:06 PM
Joy in Virginia

Busch gardens is open, but please be aware that you will drive about one hour or more to get there from Va Beach depending on traffic thru the tunnel. I do love BGW, lovely park, and they have animals in petting zoo, aviary you can feed birds, bird show & wolf show, train, kiddie rides, as well as big people rides, terrific shops, and much more. BGW is very spread out with several hills, be prepared to do LOTS of walking and definitely bring stroller for kids. Here is link: http://www.buschgardens.com/buschgardens/va/
Since you are in Va Beach I would also recommend Marine Science Museum, Macarthur Mall, there is really cool Jungle Jim's Miniature Golf one block off boardwalk, and go hike around First Landing State Park in VA Beach - link is http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/1stland.htm

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Lucy

Is BGW the same as Bush Gardens? Also, does your response mean that it DOES make sense for all of us to pay although most of us will not go on rides?? Thanks for all the great tips!!

Lucy

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:40 AM
xxx3

Lucy, there's probably something better for you to do than go to Busch Gardens. Even people who are GOING on the rides spend most of their time waiting around, in lines! It's so expensive, I can't imagine going without riding, especially if only one out of four adults will ride. There is a specific kiddie area that looked like a lot of fun (my kids were older) but not as a destination worth paying admission for all of you who won't be going on the main rides. Between the drive and the expense, there must be a better way to spend the day. Maybe the person who DOES ride can just go alone!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Samantha

Lucy,

BGW is the same as Busch Gardens (the "W" meaning Williamsburg). If you can't get any discounts, it *is* an expensive place to go (husband and I paid about $40 per person last summer). Kids' and seniors' admission prices are less. I agree with the above poster, to me, I wouldn't put out the money if I didn't go on the rides. But, like another poster said, there are a lot of other things to do there, some designed for kids, live shows, etc., but those things don't really interest me. I guess it's hard to give definite advice on this topic. You have to decide if it's worth it to pay the money in relation to what you all will/won't do. One plus, though, if any of you do go on rides, the lines won't be long at this time of year.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:56 AM
xxx3

Don't be so sure about those lines not being long. We've been to Busch in April and the lines were HUGE, it was as if everybody had been waiting all winter for a chance to go.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Lucy

Hmmmm.. that's what I was thinking -- that this is also Spring Break time for a lot of students, so maybe it will be packed with rowdy students (LOL.. I was one all my life and just finished my MBA going straight thru from kindgergarten non-stop, that's why I call them ROWDY!)

Thanks. Keep them coming.
Lucy

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Lucy

My sister thought of asking you guys -- how about local plays that are geared toward children? Also, any good restaurants anyone would recommend??

Since we're italian, we'll try one or two. But other than that, we love chinese, japanese, mexican and ribs!

Thanks
Lucy

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Samantha

Husband and I go to Aldo's for Italian food about once a month or so. It's on Laskin Road in Virginia Beach.

If you're willing to drive to Chesapeake, two great places are not far off of I-64 at Greenbrier Parkway south exit are:

Kyoto Japanese steakhouse on Greenbrier Parkway. After getting onto the parkway, it's 3 lights down. You'll see the restaurant on the right just as you're getting to the third light.

El Loro for Mexican (in shopping plaza at corner of Greenbrier Parkway and Volvo Parkway). Volvo intersection is 2 more lights down from where Kyoto is.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Marti

Lucy,
We just got back one week ago, had a great time. We were across from the clarion. It looked OK, one of the nicer ones on that end of the beach. Our 2 1/2 year old loved the aquarium, and so did we. AAA gives you a discount, so it's reasonable fee to get in. Imax has Beauty and the Beast, we did not go to that. We also went to Jamestown on our way back north, and that was fun. Be sure and leave some time to enjoy the boardwalk. Even thought it was pretty cold, we enjoyed walking, and rented a bike one day too.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Susan

The children seem a little young to enjoy Busch Gardens. There are some kiddie rides and animal shows but probably not worth the expense and waiting times. Crowds can really vary. Mon. the 1st it wasn't bad. Tues. the 2nd it was so crowded they stayed open an extra hour. You would be happier with some of the other recommendations. Nauticus is great. It might appeal more to older children though. Norfolk has a nice zoo on Granby St. The VA Living Museum in Newport News is great for kids. A lot of the animal displays are at stroller level. I didn't see any plays listed for children for this week but you might want to check the Norfolk paper when you arrive. Have fun.