Reload this Page >

Very short honeymoon in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Miwa

I'm going to Chicago Oct 14-16 on my honeymoon. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to go and eat to make this trip, a trip to remember.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:19 PM
honey

If your honeymoon will only be two days,I would suggest getting the best nicest hotel room you can afford,and stay there,in bed,with room service.That should make it memorable.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Deb

Mu husband and I stayed at Le Meridan last February and loved it! Very luxurious and great location on Michigan Ave.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Laurie

You can get some good deals at quikbook for Le Meridien and it is a very nice hotel. The rooms are real nice. If you can afford it, you might want to stay at the new Peninsula, Ritz or Four Seasons. There are many great restaurants in Chicago depending upon how much you want to spend. Charlie Trotters is a great restaurant. You will need to make reservations a few weeks before you go. I also like Nine. Geja's Cafe is a nice romantic fondue restaurant. You can take a carriage ride.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Miwa

We're actually staying at the Fairmont. But I was wondering what we could see and do especially a romantic place to eat in Chicago?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Chicagoan

The Signature Room at the Hancock Building is romantic. Ask for a city view/window seat.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:25 AM
x

Haven't been there, but based on what I've read and heard (here and elsewhere) Everest will give you a great view and assuredly a better meal than at the top of the Hancock. Bring $$$.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:23 AM
xxx

Signature Room - good view, bad food
Everest - great food, suburban crowd and bad location (in the financial district which is a ghost town in the evenings).

Great pricey eating - Tru
Less pricey but good - Topolobampo (Mex)
Spiagia (Italian - great view)

Review www.metromix.com dining for restaurant write ups and reviews (it's affiliated with the Chicago Tribune, so reasonably objective)

PS if you can re-book room, I would stay somewhere besides the Fairmont (it's location is somewhat out of the way to walk to things). Hotels to try would be Sofitel (expensive, but just opened so may have some better room rates- call direct) or Park Hyatt (if you have points). Four Seasons (best), Ritz (second best), Peninsula (third) if willing to pay up (call because, most are hurting a bit and offering decent packages if you contact directly). Have fun

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:20 AM
alley

I would second Spiaggia--it has such an outstanding view, and is very romantic! Be sure to get reservations!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:57 AM
Chris

Stay at the Peninsula, Park Hyatt, Hotel Sofitel or Four Seasons. Great locations on all of these.
Go to either Tru, NoMi, Avenues, Everest, Spiaggia or Charlie Trotter's.

XXX is right about location of Fairmont and Signature Room food and Everest location. I'd go to NoMi or Tru. Have a great time in our fabulous city.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 03:03 PM
mammak

I don't have it handy, but a recent spring issue of Chicago Magazine listed all the new really good restaurants. if you are willing to spend the $$, call now and arrange for the table in the kitchen at Charlie Trotters. You will be treated royally, and it will be an incredible memory. All hotel suggestions given are good. As far as the 95th at hancock, just stop up for a drink. Food is not special, but the view is. Definitely do a carriage ride on Michigan.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:07 AM
Bill

I would stick to the recommendations above rather than Chicago magazine's top new restaurants. It was a somewhat sparse year for new restaurants and while some are good, others are not even in my (or my friend's) top 20. Several of the posts above have good recommendations and you can judge their popularity by the duplicate mentions.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:35 AM
Ivanna No

Just concentrate on making love to your new husband, honey! Order in if tired!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Miwa

Thanks everyone it's been a great help. I just can't wait to go!!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:25 PM
Ben

For a romantic dinner, I would recommend the North Pond Cafe. The food is fantastic and the decor is a warm art deco. The restaurant is snuggled into the wild of Lincoln Park, with views of the Chicago skyline rising above the trees and pond. The food is fantastic and features whatever is fresh or in season and has an amazing selection of wines. It is a bit pricey, but it is worth it. Also, not touristy and off-the beaten path- literally. Cheers!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:29 PM
me

Where would you recommend we have breakfast? Someplace for Eggs Bennedict or yummy waffles? But that is reasonable as we'd rather spend food budget on dinner.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:07 AM
ben

I would recommend Hillary's Urban Eatery at 1500 West Division. It is a quaint little neighborhood spot that serves up delicious eggs benedict specials (try the one with smoked Salmon), waffles with fresh fruit and other breakfast comfort foods. If the weather is nice try the cozy back patio. It doesn't look like much from the front, but the inside is great. The prices are quite reasonable.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 05:28 PM
me

Thanks, Ben!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:14 PM
Deb

I would second Laurie's recommendation for Geja's. It's in Lincoln Park at Clark and Armitage and definitely an unforgettable experience.

As for breakfast, I recommened Uncommon Ground up in Wrigleyville. I think it's on Grace? But I don't remember. It's been a few years--I am a Chicago native but now live on the Left Coast.

deb

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:03 AM
sandra

just got back...eat at North Pond and stay at the W Lakeshore...we had a 28th floor room overlooking the lake...it's a hip fun hotel with a great location on the lake...enjoy...SSS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -