Very preliminary planning for Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and his girlfriend are living on the West coast of America, we live in Australia. We miss each other a lot, so.......... the plan is to meet in Honolulu , which is kind of half way, for a chill out family get together in early December.

Honolulu is the only place we will be able to visit, given our family circumstances, and before anyone jumps and advises checking guide books, I'll certainly do this , but I'd really like some "Fodorites" ideas of what to expect in Honolulu.

I've travelled a great deal in Europe and visited California last year to see my son, but Hawaii has just never been a holiday destination in my mind before now , mainly because I've visited tropical Australia a lot, which is closer!

Anyone care to comment on what Honolulu is like in comparison to tropical Australia? Gold Coast? Port Douglas?

I'm just trying to get an overall impression before I start some real planning.The main objective will be for the family and our darling "almost daughter in law" - 5 adults - to be together and chill out.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Since you are asking us to compare Honolulu with destinations in Australia you might want to post this on the Australia board also since there are probably Australians that have traveled to both. Their perspective would be useful. Just a thought.

-Bill
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Honolulu/Waikiki. Just got back from my 3rd trip there. But I have never been to Australia so can't begin to compare for you.

That said, there is so much to see and do in Honolulu, or the opportunity to just relax. Likely you will stay in Waikiki because that is the greatest concentration of hotels. This is a very busy and fun area with loads of shops and restaurants and a great long strip of beach. It is very walkable.

Certainly you can relax at the beach or your hotel/resort each day, or there are many tours and historic things you could include: Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, taking a "circle tour" of the island of Oahu, etc.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Interestingly, Waikiki in HI and Bondai in Aus. are both considered among the most famous beaches in the world.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Lots of Oahu info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.visit-oahu.com They will send a free brochure. There are over 400 websites foro lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & their site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dusty suggested the website www.gohawaii.com recently.

You can use a calendar there to plan an itinerary. It is a great feature... plug in your island(s) and dates & you'll get a listing of all kinds of local events and activities.

Check off only the ones that interest you & print out an itinerary. Fantastic resource (thanks again to Dusty).
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for the great ideas, I'll also copy to the Australian site as suggested.
I'm still interestd in any other thoughts/comparisons.

As my son would say- you rock!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM

I haven't been in Australia in a very long time, so can't compare, but I too love Honolulu and some of its environs. Consider staying at the Prince Hotel, just off of Waikiki -- it is beautiful and quiet and overlooks the Ala Wai harbor. Ask to be high up in the tower -- you can see waves breaking, surfers, sailboats headed out -- we saw whales (I was there 8 days ago). Also consider going over to Kailua (lanikai beach), or to the north shore (Haleiwa) on one of your day trips.

You might look into flying to Maui or Kauai for several days - both are wonderful!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM

P.S. I don't know how long you have, but staying in a condo or renting a house is one way to save money and have your own kitchen. Check out vrbo.com - for Maui (my favorites are Wailea, or Napili) or Kauai (try Hanalei, or Poipu).
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM

The Prince also appeals to me but be aware that while it has floor-to-ceiling windows, there are no balconies. (lanais)

To build a hotel with such views without any balconies...what were they thinking?!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:28 PM

oddly enough, my first visit to waikiki i ended up on an outrigger with two ozzies who said this is a lot like the gold coast.

having subsequently visited cairns twice, and sydney about 7 times or more since, i can say that your australian beach front towns are far less compact than waikiki, and you'll find waikiki more like if sydney were plopped down atop manly.

but the good news is you can rent a car and visit areas such as waimanalo (spelling) on the coast that are without buildings or people- just strecthes of sand for miles.

bondi- incidentaly- for whomever posted it, is nothing like waikiki.

you'll find that if you can get away from downtown waikiki, you'll see scenery very much like the region north of cairns and north of port douglas rural roads, cane fields, pretty mountains, organic produce. yet as it is a crowded island, you will not really get that remote feeling that you get in oz.

lastly as you are a large group, you might consider a condo unit. the new embassy suites right in waikiki looked nice, or try the marriott time share in kapolei, but make sure to get confirmation that you are in a two bedroom not a lockout. it is self-catering but there is a small shopping center not too terribly far away and you can still zip downtown for nightlife in about 30 minutes or less.

i hope that helps and welcome to hawaii!

kerikeri
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:17 PM
sistahlou

wow!

a most excellent response kerikeri!

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:40 PM

<<bondi- incidentaly- for whomever posted it, is nothing like waikiki.>>

I never said it was, only that both were considered among the most famous beaches in the world.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Libretto:
I've traveled all over Aus. west coast beaches, GBR islands and PNG as well as a dozen trips to Oahu. You will likely encounter many Californians and Canadian snow birds, more people in smaller spaces, faster services than in Australia and great sunsets instead of sunrises. Be mindful of crime as you would be in any other large city and enjoy the aloha of the drive north on the Kahekili Highway. I agree with kerikeri that a condo would be the way to go. Should you plan on visiting other islands, book your airfare early as those little hoppers sell out.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM

hey thanks sistalhou!

i really appreciate that- hope the noice australian comes back to read it and the other responses!

bye
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the advice- you're all so helpful.

Thanks to your advice I'm particularly interested in a condo and get a real sense of what to expect.

Now to do the planning! I'm getting excited even though it's such a long time before we leave.

I so love to travel and when I get to hug my son and his girlfriend at the end - well, that's the best!