Search

Vero Beach

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vero Beach

Hello, I am trying to plan a 4 night spring break getaway during the first week of March for my college-aged daughter and me. We are hoping to relax at the beach and pool, possibly a little shopping and casual dining. The Kimpton Vero Beach Hotel looks appealing but we've never been to Vero Beach. Would this destination fill our needs? Is it necessary to rent a car or can we get around on foot and take taxi/car service from airport (West Palm Beach?) Thank you. - Mary
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Vero Beach is not a big town, but it has good restaurants, is close to a nice beach, and has a pretty little downtown area. I don't know the hotel you mentioned, but it probably is close to everything. You need to ask them. As for transportation, you might want to take a taxi to some places, perhaps the beach depending on where your hotel is located. But other than that, you are likely to find lots of things within walking distance. You should either call the hotel, get on their website if they have one, and find out exactly where the hotel is located. Good luck.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM

marynj, West Palm to Vero Beach is quite a hike. Off the top of my head, it's at least 75 miles.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Vero Beach has a very large retirement population. Personally, I don't think it's not the type of place that would thrill a college-aged girl.

If you are flying into West Palm, I would look for something closer to that area. Shuttle/taxi fees to get from the WPB airport to Vero Beach will probably take up any savings on hotel costs.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for responses. Yes, I should have done my homework, did not realize that Vero Beach is so far from PB airport. Looks like Melbourne would be slightly closer but flights are trickier. So I think that we are going to go to Captiva instead. We have been several times though not recently and not since the hurricane and subsequent renovations. Captiva is on the quiet side as well but my daughter says she's ok with that (at least for this trip since it's just the two of us!) Thanks again - Mary
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM

I think you've made a good choice. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Where will you stay in Captiva?
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

We are staying in South Seas in a Harbourside guestroom. I would rather not rent a car but we plan to have dinner in "downtown" Captiva. Does anyone know if we can a) rent a golf cart at South Seas or b) take the resort trolley to town?