Search

Vermont to Maine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont to Maine

I will be visiting visiting Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine for 10 days starting on October 1. Our trip will start in Manchester, Vermont. What are the must do things in these 3 states as well as the unique things?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:45 AM

vt: just south of manchester is bennington. a cool town and great pottery. ben and jerry's! stowe, butlington and st. johnsbury are nice. in general rte 7 or especially rte 100 are very scenic.
nh: the white mtn nat'l forest. in particular rte 112 - the kancamagus highway - from interstate 93 to conway. around conway is beautiful and they have a 10 mile long outlet shopping area. just south of there is lake winnipesaukee with loads to see and do. just to the east in
maine: is a small town called lovell with the stunningly beautiful (according to me and nat'l geo magazine) kezar lake. you might stay at the center lovell inn. on the way east from conway is fryeburg, me. from oct.1 thru 8 is this years fryeburg fair. they have food, rides, animal exhibits and contests, a skillet throwing contest open to women only, pig scramble, pulling contests for machines and animals, harness racing, crafts, concerts..... this is the most unique thing i can think of in state. acadia national park and bar harbor, the moosehead lake region although that is pretty far north for your time frame, so maybe the rangley lakes region or the belgrade lakes region. then you have to go over to the coast and have lobster in a lobster shack not some big restaurant!
hope this helps a little.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:11 AM

If we have a typical year (not like last year's foliage), the timing of your visit should be perfect. Shelburne Museum could easily take up a day. We also like to stop at the Vermont Country Store. Recently I saw recommendations for Vermont made cheese and thought that would make an interesting tour. Even if you don't have lunch at Simon Pierce in Quechee VT, take the time to visit the building, watch potters and glass blowers and look at their hydro-electric system. It's a beautiful area plus a table overlooking the falls is perfect. Food is gourmet. Cross over into NH and head to the Lake Winnipesaukee area and White Mountains. Personally, I would avoid the North Conway area but Fryeburg is a wonderful fair. Expect a lot of traffic congestion and choose a private parking lot before you get to the fairgrounds. Otherwise it's a very slow crawl. I thought the fair's museum building was very well down. You will see people demonstating old time skills. Maine isn't usually the first choice for foliage but you should see some of the coastline and have lobster. Many lobster shacks stay open until Columbus Day weekend. You might visit York to see some beautiful sand beaches (further north the beaches get rocky) and Nubble Lighthouse. It is traditional to watch the salt water taffy machine at the Goldenrod.You might walk the Marginal Way in Ogunquit ME that overlooks the coast and beaches. You could take a foliage cruise on Lake Winnipesaukee but I think a harbor cruise or inland rivers cruise out of Portsmouth NH would be even better. You could visit Strawbery Banke historical area. If you are headed back to VT, head to Durham. The road has a couple of bridges over Great Bay and there's some beautiful land. You can take Rt 4 back to Concord NH. This will take you through "antique alley" in Northwood if you want some interesting shopping. One thing to remember, it seems to me that the view is best heading north in NH rather than the trip south. I think it's because you see the hills turning into mountains. Heading back to VT, Rt 89 from Concord is quick yet picturesque. For southern VT find a route that connects with Rt 101 that heads over to Keene. If you have to go south on Rt 93, stick to 293 to get a great view across the river of Manchester (NH) old mills. The smaller former mill town of Harrisville is worth a visit. Rt 101 takes you through beautiful Peterborough. But the quiet country town in NH we think is the prettiest is Sandwich NH, just NW of Lake Winnipesaukee.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to virginia and dfrostnh for their informative replies. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated as well.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have specifics but that should be a gorgeous trip. I've done it myself when I lived in Vermont but so long ago I can't remember what we did exactly! Definitely get off the highways and drive back roads. Look for parked cars where there seems to be nothing, it's likely a swimming hole. Eat lobster on the beach in Maine. Stop at the local maple sugar or jam shops along the smaller highways. Stop when you see interesting junk or antique barns. Watch for covered bridges.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

dfrostnh, thanks for your information. You mention having lunch in Quechee, Vt. Is there a restaurant at Simon Pierce or something nearby?

Thanks
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Yes, the building includes a wonderful restaurant which uses some of the pottery and hand-blown glass. We visited in the summer and got in line as soon as the restaurant opened. It filled quickly. I don't know if they take reservations.