Side trips to NH & VT

Search

Side trips to NH & VT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side trips to NH & VT

My wife and I are planning on spending a week in Maine sometime in July. While there, we were thinking of day trips to both Vermont and New Hampshire. From what I read, both of these two states are a long drive from Maine. If anybody has ever done this before, let me know if a day trip to Vermont and New Hampshire from Maine is doable and if so, what did you see and do? Thanks for any assistance.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, it depends where in Maine you are starting from & where in NH or Vermont you want to go to! Maine is a pretty large state. As far as what to see and do, it's fabulously gorgeous countryside so just driving around any of many different routes would be beautiful.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

We are going to be starting from Moody Beach.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Where is that?
Do you have a town name, or nearest city?
Also - are you willing to spend one night "on the road?" Perhaps you could do some sort of two day "loop," hitting both states before returning to Maine. Alternatively, something on your way to the airport, or in/out of town.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:40 AM

Time to get out the map! Moody is south of Kennebunkport so you are only a very short drive from NH. Portsmouth is a wonderful seacoast city with a lot of great restaurants, historic Strawbery Banke, shops, and a variety of short boat trips. You could go there for dinner it is so close. Once you get as far north as Portland the best route to NH is Rt 302 to Conway. About an hour's drive. The Conway area is in the beautiful White Mountains and only a short distance from Lake Winnipesaukee. If you are much further north in Maine, then there isn't any straight route to NH from the coast. Vermont is on the other side of NH. The trip thru the mountains would be great and then you could do a loop thru VT. As suggested, I would recommend an overnight somewhere. Vermont is greener and hillier with beautiful open farmland while NH is craggier (up north). Southern NH is very built up although there are some prettier areas. Even if you just go as far as Montpelier VT with a loop thru White River Junction and Woodstock, I think you will be glad you did. If you just enjoy driving thru scenic areas, you'll have a grand time but you may want to have some destinations in mind so you don't miss something you really would have liked to have visited. On a clear day you might want to take a tram ride up a mountain. If you want shopping ... NH doesn't have a sales tax. If you want historic, there's lots of choices.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Moody Beach is actually part of Wells Beach, a very nice area if you like wide sandy beaches. Dfrostnh pretty much nailed it as far as answering your questions. A few suggestions: Canterbury Shaker Village, which is just north of Concord NH, is a great day trip destination. It's a beautifully restored Shaker village in a very scenic setting. If you do go as far as Woodstock Vt (about 3 hours from Wells), don't miss the Billings Farm Museum.