Vermont, NH, and Maine for foliage...need help on itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to see Vermont, NH, and Maine for the foliage and really don't know how many days...possibly a week or a little less. With this in mind what would you suggest. I have been reading and see that it would be better to fly into MHT and stay in b&b in Vermont. Could you give me a little insight on what direction I should travel. Thank you so much.
Mycuppajava
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM

If I were you, I'd be getting my itinerary together ASAP, as hotels/inns get booked up during leaf peep time. I've got my reservations all done (flight into MHT, 2 nights N Conway HN, 2 nights BOS area, 2 nights around Lake Winnepesaukee). I'm glad I got it all done about 6 weeks ago.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 03:45 AM

Good luck with reservations. Split your visit between two locations heading north first which could be either VT or NH and then south. Simpson has a nice itinerary but N Conway isn't that far from Lake W. When we split a week this gives us a good variety of day trips without repeating ourselves. Even if you have to stay in a city like Burlington VT or Concord NH, the good part is the scenery is still close (in fact, both are small and pretty cities) and they have more restaurants and things to do at night. Pick a place or event you want to see, draw a radius and find a place to stay. The great b&bs are probably full by now. If you are staying less than a week, I would cut Maine from your list although you could get to Maine in about an hour from leaving MHT. Portland ME is only an hour from the N Conway area. If you want to change hotels every night and do a lot of driving you can fit everything. i.e. Maine could be a day trip from NH or spend 2 nights in each state. The NH White Mountains offer a lot of opportunities for hiking, riding to the top of a mountain, etc or. Take a lake cruise or train ride. Visit a winery. It depends on what you like to do.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM

As Dfrost says you should narrow the focus of what you want to see and do... Most folks have this trouble and try to do it all in a few days. If you make a list of some things you want to see (leave peak off the list because we all want it) but start with the kind of lodgings you want to stay in. If B&Bs are in your budget $150-$300 per night then make that determination now. (The nice ones fill up fast).
Next are you only interested in driving? then go onto the www.Yankeefoliage.com website and check their recommended drives.
If you want to hit farm stands and general stores add it. How about fall festivals? How about Lobstah???
Until you have the to do list of what you like to do you can waste your time looking for all these things...

Also post your dates!!!! With out that I have no idea if I would send you north to St Albans Canadian border or the quiet corner of CT...

Jeff Foliage
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input. I knew it was almost too late to make the trip and I may consider switching to just seeing an overview of the three states. I do appreciate your replies. Cheers from TN!