New Hampshire - Need Itinerary Ideas

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Hampshire - Need Itinerary Ideas

Hello, Everyone.

I am in the beginning stages of planning a 4 day trip to NH and looking for itinerary ideas. At this point, I'm flexible and open to anything. We'll probably travel the first week of September and be there for Labor Day. Our flight is only 2 hours, if we fly into Manchester. We could rent a car for the scenic drives or take a train (?). I'd like to stay in the state and get a mix of history, quaint towns, the ocean, and scenery. It will be my husband and I, early 30's and active, but I'll be quite pregnant so walking is okay but no hiking/kayaking/etc. We have diverse interests, but antiquing or shopping really aren't on the list.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM

There is no train service in New Hampshire. You'd definitely need to rent a car.

Have a look at www.visitnh.gov

And, I highly recommend "New Hampshire, An Explorer's Guide", which could not be more comprehensive for seeing and doing, lodging, dining, etc. Wonderful for determining those places you would find most appealing to you.

You may want to have a "theme" for your visit, such as lakes, mountains, covered bridges...
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM

"We'll probably travel the first week of September and be there for Labor Day."

Just to clarify: Labor Day is Monday, Sept. 1.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Portsmouth would definitely give you a mix of history and ocean. Take a boat ride. With only 4 days you could stay in the Portsmouth area to avoid changing hotels and then journey into southern Maine or south into Massachusetts. Portsmouth is only about 45 minutes from MHT via Rt 101 but if you head north to Concord via Rt 293, then Rt 393 to Rt 4 is a more scenic route but slower. Depending on your flight arrival or departure time you could incorporate a visit the Canterbury Shaker Village which is just north of Concord. There should be a good selection of apples for fresh picking - driving to an orchard is usually scenic. There are several in the Concord area. If you wanted to also include the White Mountains during your visit, they're only an hour north of Concord. The restaurants are better in Portsmouth but Manchester has some excellent restaurants. You could do Concord as your base and make Portsmouth a day trip. You could also make a loop thru the mountains from Portsmouth, it would just be more hours on the road. Be aware that there will be heavy traffic on Labor Day weekend - Friday night and Monday night esp on Rt 293/93, rt 101. Friday nights are always congested because of commuters as well as weekenders. Although Concord is a city, it has a lovely downtown which includes the State House and NH History Museum.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:44 AM

The great virtue of NH is that it has a lot of different attractions in a very small space.

I love Portsmouth, but I certainly wouldn't spend all four nights there.

You could have one day/night in the Manchester-Concord area, a second day/night in the Lake Sunapee/Dartmouth area, a third in the White Mountains, and finish up with the fourth in the Portsmouth area.

You will see the most if you drive between these areas on the smallest backroads you can find on your maps, except for Portsmouth-Manchester on your last day.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:54 AM

I agree with dfnh's info. Portsmouth is rich in NH history, plus it's right on the ocean,has a lot of boutique shops and restaurants. Go to Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth.

You can also drive up to North Conway for the day (less than 1 hour drive) as an option too. It's in the foothills of the White Mountains and is a beautiful, quaint area. There is a scenic train ride that you can pick up in North Conway.
I'll also second my vote for the Dartmouth/Sunapee area. Take in the town of Hanover where Dartmouth College is. Very nice area.
By now your 4 days will just about be up.

Reply with any questions.

Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

That's terrific so far - thanks everyone!!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Let us know what you decide
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM

NH has so much to offer-- seacoast, cities, mountains-- you can really pack those four days full with fun experiences.

I know you've heard about Portsmouth- but it really is a fun little town. Seaside, lots of yummy restaurants (try The Friendly Toast for a funky breakfast, or eat at one of the smaller restaurants on Bow St. and sit outside on the decks to watch the tug boats go by! My favorite there is The Stockpot.) There are lots of places to catch live music and Prescott Park is a great spot to relax and people watch.

You did say shopping isn't your thing, though, and that's what you will see a lot of if you just stick to downtown P'Town. Strawberry Banke would offer you a break from that- it's a historical district in town. There is also beautiful drive if you cruise down Rte 1 into Rye and Hampton. You can stop at Odiorne St. Park for a picnic and some salty air.
The Isles of Shoals tours are lots of fun, too- they cruise around a chain of islands off the coast. Check the Isle of Shoals Steamship Co. for details. Some of the sunset cruises offer music.

In the mountain and lakes regions, there is another world of sights to take in. Conway is beautiful, but has been overrun by outlet malls, which turns my stomach a bit. Still, the railway is great, and the downtown area is cute. (If you do hit Conway, be sure to stop in at Peaches for breakfast. It's so yummy!!!)

A little farther north, you can take in the Mt. Washington area. A few of the ski mountains offer gondola rides in the summer to give you a view from the peaks. I know Loon Mountain does this.

While the foliage may not be really revved up the first week of Sept., it's still a nice ride to cross the Kangamangas highway... I recommend making your way to that road if you can add it to your itinerary- it's breathtaking.

Last thought: If your travels take you through the lakes region (Lake Winnipesaukee is a favorite get away spot in NH, with beautiful vistas and lots of water sports), you may also like to see The Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough. It's a beautiful old mansion with wonderful views of the lakes and mntns.

In each of these areas, you can find a good array of inns and Bed & Breakfasts. B&B Online has a good directory for starters. Portsmouth has a few chain hotels now (ack!).

I listed a lot of the outdoorsy-type places to visit. If you're more into cities, Manchester and Concord have lots to offer... I just don't go there very often! If you are up for a 30-40 minute drive, Newburyport, MA is a great town to visit, and heading north you can see some wonderful coastal towns in Maine, like Kennebunkport.

Enjoy! It's a great state!