Need help with family Northeastern road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending a week in Cape Cod and then coming back to Toronto with a stop in Worcester, Mass. We have a few days to get home, so this is my question...any ideas of where would be a good place to stop for a few nights between Worcester and Toronto?

Ideally I am looking for a family type of resort, by a lake if possible. I have booked something in Stowe Vermont but I am not sure that this is really where we ought to go. Looked into the Mirror Lake Inn in Lake Placid and while it is beautiful - it is also too $$$.

Any great ideas from my Fodors friends?

Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM

The Stowe area is quite beautiful, as is most Vermont. This area is great for outdoorsy activities such as hiking, biking, kayaking. Stowe is a pretty (but touristy) little ski town with several good places to eat and many small shops and such. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM

From Worcester to Toronto, hmmm! So many driving options for you!

Are you planning to head up through New York State? When I looked on mapquest for a good route, it recommended going through Syracuse and Rochester. That area, I can't speak to... BUT:

If you're up for a more creative route, I can't say enough about the Saranac Lake area in upstate NY, or Lake Champlain in north western VT. The drive up Rte 87 is very pretty, there is a touristy stop you could make in Lake George, you can take a ferry ride over to Burlington from the NY side of Champlain.
Burlington is a fantastic city, with a great mix of in-town and rural activities.
There's a very quaint chain of small islands about 35 miles north of Burlington that would offer a quieter getaway. There you can find beautiful scenery, great swimming and fishing. If that type of area interests you, check out the North Hero House in North Hero VT. There are other sleepy cottages to stay in along the islands, too.
www.champlainislands.com

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM

you could look into the Highland Lodge on Caspian Lake in Greensboro Vt (NE part of the state).
I agree the scenery around Stowe is beautiful but I think the town itself is too touristy

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great idea. I know that Stowe is nice in the summer as I was there beofre (pre-children) and did a lot of biking and hiking.

The North Hero House looks interesting.

The Highland Lodge looks nice too, but wow - price in summer (with breakfast and dinner though) is pretty steep $580 a day for the four of us!

Keep the ideas coming!

Was also thinking maybe Finger Lakes but can't seem to find the right lodging for us.

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:30 PM

If you are thinking of the Finger Lakes, check out the Viking Resort on Keuka Lake. NOW - it is not a Hyatt or Marriott, it is slightly rustic! But it is right on the lake, has suites and efficiencies that include a kitchen (great with kids) 1000 feet of lake frontage, pool, hot tub and boat cruise at nite. Great family run place that is perfect for R & R.