Search

Vermont in the Fall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Jennifer

Vermont in the Fall

I am planning a trip to Vermont this fall and was wondering if anyone had insight on the best time to go and where to go. We'd love to go once the leaves have turned and really want a relaxed, country experience. Although, I'd also like to stay a night or two in Burlington. But most of the time I'd like to experience the quiet, rustic charm of Vermont staying in a B&B or rented country house. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Cheers, Jennifer

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:59 AM
cindy

If you want to go in November, after the leaves have fallen, most places in Vermont will be quiet and cheaper. However, foliage time (Sept until mid-October) is the most expensive time of the year to go and many nice places are booked 6 months or more in advance

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:16 AM
xx

Agree w/Cindy re: accommodations. Many places do get booked 6-12 months in advance from late Sept-mid October, especially on weekends.
The least crowded part of Vermont is the Northeast Kingdom. The leaves generally change the last week of Sept/1st week of October. Check out www.skiburke.com or www.jaypeakresort.com for info on the area.
Burlington is a great city-UVM has homecoming one of the weekends in Oct so getting rooms may be extra difficult.
You should better luck finding accommodations during the week, but probably a more difficult time for the weekends. Good Luck!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Sue Sinclair

Hi- I live here and to me the best time of the fall is mid to late October. My other advice would be to stay in the Central VT (Montpelier)area. This way you can experience the rural and quiet, yet it's close to Burlington and Stowe for day trips. See www.central-vt.com for more information and other good links.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:16 AM
cleo

November??? ICK ! I'm from New England and always thought November was dreary --- such a letdown after the spectacular fall foliage show and days are getting shorter, temps colder. I'd NEVER recommend anyone come to New England during November; well, unless they were planning on spending Thanksgiving at Plimoth Plantation.

Yes, it's more expensive & a bit busier during Sept/Oct, but it's INCREDIBLY beautiful then. Try your best to find a place then --- you won't regret it.

Definitely stay a couple nights in Burlington --- charming "big" city in Vermont and then explore countryside.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:32 AM
a--z

Here's a site that can help in your search for accommadations.
http://www.vermont.org
If by some fluke, one of their 14 rooms are available, then go for the Willard Street Inn. Or if you don't mind staying outside of Burlington in an adjacent city, then I'd recommend the "Heart of the Village Inn" in
Shelburne. It's only a 15/20 min drive to downtown Burlington.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:58 AM
ken

In Vermont don't you have to exchange your American dollars for Canadian currency???

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Vermonteer

If Jesse Jackson is on his way, the people of Vermont had best get out their purses because that would be all he is after. MONEY MONEY MONEY and so on and so on.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:25 PM
Darcy

Vermont is "special" every month in personally subjective ways. We live here and love early November. There are a few beech leaves hanging onto the branches. Add a dusting of snow, some cows by the barn, a changing sky, quiet, quiet, quiet, peaceful, the woodstove smoke rising from the hills, the anticipation of the first "real" snowfall, life is at peace, we LOVE November. Yet, as I said, it is very subjective.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:49 PM
Marcie

It is really late to be planning a trip to Vermont this fall! Not only are the most appealing and reasonably priced accomodations likely booked by now, most require two or three night minimums. The leaves begin changing colors in the Northeast Kingdom around mid-September. The foliage moves south and west from then and there. Timing is totally unpredictable. Those in the know spend part of their time somewhere in the northern half of the state the first week of October, and then head to somewhere in the southern half. The best way to enjoy the foliage is by driving all over every day. There are variations all along the way. Scenic drives in every direction. If you're looking for some sort of "experience", you may want to set your sights on finding an appealing country inn as opposed to a B&B or "rented country house" (no idea what you mean by the latter). Although there are some wonderful lodgings which are motels, but have country inn style rooms and are located in spectacular settings. Actually, your best bet would be to get yourself a copy of "Vermont, An Explorer's Guide" and begin planning for Fall 2003.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:34 AM
joan

You might try either of these two sites for renting a home, cabin or condominium directly from the owners-www.cyberrentals.com or www.vrbo.com. You can contact the owners directly by email. We're renting a condo this week through them. I'll let you know how it turns out.